Search the forum,

Discuss central heating help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

my central heating combi boiler has qty 10 . rads 9 of which have trv fitted and 1 not this is controlled by the boiler stat.my question is this
if i set the stat to say 25c the stat being in the hall it gets very hot how can i reduce this heat by turning down the one controlled by the non trv rad in the hall and still let the other rads receive 25c then turn them to under 25c on what ever. I am aged 84 hope this makes sense.Thank you very much.

The hall radiator should have a type of valve known as a lockshield at one end that needs to be carefully adjusted so that less heat gets to the hall radiator. This is a delicate adustment, think in terms of quarter or eigth turns. When I do this sort of adjustment I use 'hours', i.e. 1/12th turns to keep track of where I am.

An easier method of achieving the same results is to partially cover the hall radiator with a bath towel or small blanket or similar. This is actually a good way to establish whether the effect is going to be what you desire.

At this time of year, when plumbers are in short supply and the weather is cold, I'd recommend the towel method as it's easily reversible and you won't be risking causing a leak when you adjust the valve.

If 25°C is not just an example figure, it is too hot (unless recommended by a doctor). Age Concern recommends 21°C for living rooms and 18°C for bedrooms. (If the room is too hot you risk dehydration and other health problems.) I always advise elderly people have an independent room thermometer with a nice clear reading that they can see easily.

The hall radiator should have a type of valve known as a lockshield at one end that needs to be carefully adjusted so that less heat gets to the hall radiator. This is a delicate adustment, think in terms of quarter or eigth turns. When I do this sort of adjustment I use 'hours', i.e. 1/12th turns to keep track of where I am.

An easier method of achieving the same results is to partially cover the hall radiator with a bath towel or small blanket or similar. This is actually a good way to establish whether the effect is going to be what you desire.

At this time of year, when plumbers are in short supply and the weather is cold, I'd recommend the towel method as it's easily reversible and you won't be risking causing a leak when you adjust the valve.

If 25°C is not just an example figure, it is too hot (unless recommended by a doctor). Age Concern recommends 21°C for living rooms and 18°C for bedrooms. (If the room is too hot you risk dehydration and other health problems.) I always advise elderly people have an independent room thermometer with a nice clear reading that they can see easily.

Thank you chuck .

your method was perfick. I have been told that the stat temp must be higher than the the TRV temp . is that true.

I have been told that the stat temp must be higher than the the TRV temp . is that true.

It's not quite correct. What is true is that you need the thermostat in the hall set high enough that the boiler is running when you need heat in the other rooms.

In order to get your system 'just right', you can set the thermostat in the hall to whatever temperature you want in the hall, say 21°C. Then, use my 'towel' technique to reduce the amount of heat delivered by the hall radiator to the point that the heating is on enough for the other rooms to keep warm.

Could the OP simply turn down the inlet valve? ie close it off then open it half a turn or whatever is required to allow enough flow to lower the temp, just means less fiddling with the lockshield valve. I did something similar on one of my rads that doesn't have a TRV.

Could the OP simply turn down the inlet valve?

If the heating has been installed to Regs, which is likely as all the radiators have TRVs except the one that influences the heating thermostat, there won't be an inlet valve that can be closed without using tools.

There's always a risk when you attack a valve that's not moved for years that it will start leaking and as a result the boiler will shut down. That's more of a problem when you are 84 than when you are 34 hence my attempt to provide 'safe' advice.

If the heating has been installed to Regs, which is likely as all the radiators have TRVs except the one that influences the heating thermostat, there won't be an inlet valve that can be closed without using tools.

There's always a risk when you attack a valve that's not moved for years that it will start leaking and as a result the boiler will shut down. That's more of a problem when you are 84 than when you are 34 hence my attempt to provide 'safe' advice.
thanks chuck regards anthony
Could the OP simply turn down the inlet valve? ie close it off then open it half a turn or whatever is required to allow enough flow to lower the temp, just means less fiddling with the lockshield valve. I did something similar on one of my rads that doesn't have a TRV.
thanks very much for your help regards . Anthony

point taken all is just perfick now

yes Chuck installed by british gas some 18 years ago

Reply to central heating help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock