Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating Circulation Problem - Single Pipe System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I’ve moved into a property with a conventional 6-year-old Vaillant boiler with water tanks and a single pipe system. Initially the downstairs radiators wouldn’t heat up. After having new lock shields and TRVs fitted, system power flushed and new pump installed, all radiators heat up but downstairs not as hot as upstairs.

On Central Heating only function the temperature on the boiler rises very quickly and it switches out, as temperature drops it switches back in again. When hot water and heating are both on, this is less of an issue. Been advised it’s a circulation problem and boiler display indicates this.

Is it advisable to get the existing pipework replaced with combi boiler and two-pipe system? Dilemma is that I’m having flooring replaced so it’s an opportunity to get pipework upgraded while flooring is up. However existing system still does the job despite issues outlined. Would really appreciate some advice.

Cheers

I did masses of research when fitting a new (extra) radiator to my single pipe system and got the balancing right. The only valves that I read worked are Danfoss RA-G-15s with RLV-S Lockshields. That (with a brand new radiator) was incredibly successful, even having two elbows in the flow and return from the single pipe to take it through the wall.

It now puts the other radiators with 1960s valves to shame... problem is I don’t have £70 per valve set (yes, they really are that expensive) to do the others! I can recommend those parts as fit for purpose though.

One pipe systems are technology from quite literally decades ago. You should replace to get things up to a modern standard. Naturally with one pipe systems the rads first off the circuit will heat up before the last.

Just my opinion but...

One-pipe systems just need too much TLC to keep working, as you're discovering. I'd re-pipe and convert to a closed (pressurised) system. As a second priority, if the money is available, I'd change the DHW cylinder to unvented and get rid of the the tanks in the roof. I would not replace a stored DHW system with a combi without a very compelling reason. I would expect a six-year old Vaillant to have quite a lot of life in it so replacing it would not be a priority for me.

I agree with chuck. A combi will work fine for the right house and the right DHW needs but personally I always suggested an unvented cylinder. There’s pros and cons to both but if you’re seriously thinking of upgrading I would at least consider what we have suggested.

Just my opinion but...

One-pipe systems just need too much TLC to keep working, as you're discovering. I'd re-pipe and convert to a closed (pressurised) system. As a second priority, if the money is available, I'd change the DHW cylinder to unvented and get rid of the the tanks in the roof. I would not replace a stored DHW system with a combi without a very compelling reason. I would expect a six-year old Vaillant to have quite a lot of life in it so replacing it would not be a priority for me.

Thank you Chuck. You've also answered my next question regarding whether to replace the boiler. I'll stick with the existing one as advised.

Being old school I would usually say keep what you have got...however you have a golden opportunity to upgrade and future proof your home...2 pipe system deffo, combi no no ...go for a system set up using existing boiler and save upto £900....flush out old system then the new work ascwell and fit a decent filter ...eclipse do a belting one or a centramag . If you have old fashioned rads replace and facelift the lot and service boiler ...Rob Foster centralheatking

Reply to Central Heating Circulation Problem - Single Pipe System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock