Search the forum,

Discuss Cast iron soil pipe cutting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tosh

Hello all,
Having never touched a cast iron soil pipe can someone point me in the right direction of how to add another waste into the stack. What to cut it with what fittings etc. Have seen laods of add-ons for plastic, nice and easy to drill boss strap over the top new waste into new hole simple. But cast iron??

Many Thanks

Tosh

there is a number of ways people do it.
drill the cast stack with a bi-metal hole cutter. then add boss for cast iron.
or change a section of the cast stack to plastic. easy job.
or change the complete stack. pain in the a**e.

not a job i like alls way try to avoid. as cast iron is a pain to work with and can easerly go wrong and crack.

changing the subject do you come from that little village maylandsea ? as i know many people there.

You're proving to be my personal advisor on this site AJ:D

Had a call from my brother tonight actually he's now looking at removing the entire stack and replacing with plastic:eek: I won't tell you what I called him.

Didn;t know about putting the plastic in with the cast though, I like the sound of that. Is it a case of just cutting out a section of cast and sliding in a the same size in plastic or are there special joining clamps/braces etc etc.
Forgive the ignorance I am still all very new to plumbing and still finding my feet. Doing small private jobs for friends and such until someone eventually hires me. Usual thing, must be experienced, can't get experience without a job la de da de da etc etc.

On the other note Yes I am from Maylandsea. You're about the only other person on the planet that know's this place is even here ha ha ha

Fitting a boss onto the cast is easy enough, you can get a bolt on iron fitting with a big rubber sealing washer. You have to drill the hole obviously so get a good holesaw and make sure you get the right size boss as there are different size cast iron pipes. If you need to put in a new section then yes you basically cut out a section and replace with plastic, you can make the joins with rubber repair couplings, basically slip on rubber collars with big jubilee type clips, make sure you get the right size. Ultimately you could replace the whole stack, not too bad a job if it doesn't serve too many fittings or goes higher than a "normal" house, you can cut it off at ground level and again use a rubber coupling to join to the plastic. The dodgiest bit is getting the old stack down, its heavy and its definately a two man, two ladder job.

You're proving to be my personal advisor on this site AJ:D

i start to charge night rate soon
laughing-019.gif

not that simple if you ever cut a section out of cast stack.
double check the above section never drops.
i prefer to change the complete lot rather than a section.

if you cut a cast stack at say a few inch above ground then insert one of these

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toolstation.com%2Fshop%2FConstruction%2FBlackSoilVent%2Fd210%2Fsd2849"]Toolstation > Construction > Black Soil & Vent[/DLMURL] 96056

then carry on in plastic.
or if only putting a section of plastic in you'll need one of these to join the top part of plastic to the original cast stack

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toolstation.com%2Fshop%2FConstruction%2FBlackSoilVent%2Fd210%2Fsd2849"]Toolstation > Construction > Black Soil & Vent[/DLMURL] 98452 but in 110mm but they do look sh*t

i'm only local to you
done quite a bit of work their for a firm who build alot of homes their
Soverign homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really cool thanks guys,
Got to be honest I didn;t know you could cut and Boss strap cast the same as plastic so will go for that as it sounds the easiest option.

All he wants to do is move all his waste pipes in the bathroom down a foot so they end up under the floor boards. His cast stack runs down the corner of his bathroom so is accessable. He'd prefer to get rid of the cast and put in plastic but as I'm doing the Fekkin work we'll go for the easiest option. Much appreciated.

Did like the link though AJ thanks. They seem to be cheaper than screwfix and have more choice for plumbing bits.

If you need to cut the cast iron into shorter lengths during the alteration I use a Ridgid pipe breaker which uses a chain under tension to make a nice clean break to the pipe . Much easier than a saw .

Its a strap on saddle boss for cast iron you want. Oh! Aye! And lots of patients for drilling. They can look a bit bulky, but if its not on show it won't matter so much.

If you want to cut it the chain cutters work great, but can snap cast easily and ruin it. I would say take it slow and watch how you go. Don't be tempted to rush it and over tighten the chain to much, that's when the cast usually snaps. Having been on jobs where I have knackered a load of cast at ££££ a throw I have a rough idea of what happens if you rush! :)

And yes check the upper lengths are well fixed before you cut anything. A length of cast is very heavy and don't forget if you working between fixed points you may want slip or extended collars if you want to install a bos pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not use an angle grinder on iron pipe (provided youre outside of course)??? Ive used one plenty of times doing auto work on a variety of different metals.

Hi! Heinz

Sure you can use an angle grinder, chain wheel cutter, or hacksaw. The problem with angle grinders is sometimes the guard gets in the way or it snatches if your up a ladder. But if your accustomed to using one and know how it handles there is nothing to stop you using one.

In the old days we often used a chain wheel cutter, unlike the chain cutter they cut through the pipe.

We may even use a hacksaw and put two cuts in the front and one up the back then knock it on the floor to snap it. We would hold cast in a rope Spanish windlass to cut it not a vice.

Its just a plank and a piece of rope in a loop that you put around the pipe. It works great and the idea can be used for other things as well.

hi all
I always use a 4" angle grinder to cut cast iron pipe, but as bernie says the gaurd gets in the way so I no longer have a gaurd on mine, dont worry if the blade cuts yer up a bit as you will soon learn to keep your hands and face away from it, I know I have.
regards
Mike

this could lead to problems due to the weight of cast above plastic ,should cast above work loose plastic will not hold it,down it will come and may cause damage or injury you will be liable. why not replace in plastic from and above new connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast iron soil pipe cutting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock