Search the forum,

Discuss Career change for a female of 36???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hasti1890

What do you think? I'm 36 years old and have had enough of my career. Always loved DIY and have done basic plumbing in my own house. Would like to avoid spending the next four years in college but appreciate the need to get qualified. Would consider an apprenticeship but not sure I'm eligible due to my age? What do you reckon then, Be honest I can take it:wink_smile: ps thanks in advance for your help

Welcome to the forum :)

Why plumbing?

I don't think you could take the hones answer, but if you use the search function you will see hundreds, maybe thousands, of threads on the same topic.

Not easy when there's qualified people sat twiddling their thumbs, but good luck.

:welcome2:

As Simon says it's a tough business at present and there are literally hundreds of threads on here relating to people with the same question as yourself.

I would be amazed if you got an apprenticeship but if you do decide to go ahead, best of luck.

I didn't start till late not as late as 36 the plumbing and heating industry keeps changing and a plumber can't know everything hence you have forums like this
don't leave a secure job and think that work will full in your lap, it has taken me 3 years to become busy even with a good reputation and being fair with customers I am still learning?
Do a course were it will not affect you current job evenings would be ideal then start doing small jobs taps etc be careful water can cause lots of damage. Good luck

hastil890 please dont take this the wrong way and i hopefully wont upset too many other members, firstly welcome to the forums. BUT the best employee ive had in the last 4 years was a woman. hopefully i will find another in time shame her boyfriend had issues.

if you find someone like me you stand half a chance id be tempted to start ringing round and also update your profile witha location

[h=2]Career change for a female of 36????.......[/h]........A stripper!

Seriously though I mean stripper of wall paper (honest). There are quite a few lady professional decorators here and they advertise their services as Lady Decorators, Lady Painters etc. and because they are female, a lot of female customers feel more comfortable having them in their home. They are also very busy too!

Most men, and I'm top of the list here can't stand painting and decorating and don't have the patience for it. Women generally have more patience for this sort of thing and are very good at it. Give me a bathroom to install but pleeeease no wallpaper!

The career route to this would be much quicker too and many colleges offer day or evening vocational courses.

Hi hasti,

If you really want to do it then go for it. But I would try it for a couple of weeks first before you give up the day job. What do you do by the way?
And system3 suggesting you become a decorator?! Made me chuckle that!

Because you're really really really old (same age as me actually) do you really want to go down the route of a 3-5 year apprenticeship? I mean good luck if it's what you decide to do but if I was looking for a new career right now I'd probably do something that wouldn't take years of my life up, like becoming a tiler.

Because you're really really really old (same age as me actually) do you really want to go down the route of a 3-5 year apprenticeship? I mean good luck if it's what you decide to do but if I was looking for a new career right now I'd probably do something that wouldn't take years of my life up, like becoming a tiler.

... Or a dinnerlady! I'm running!

Personally i would never advise any woman to take up plumbing. Not because they couldn't do it. They could just as well as any man but unless you get yourself into a niche market or stick to a bit jobbing it will kill your body but it is your decision so good luck with it.
If you do this, by the time you reach your 50's you will wish you'd never heard of plumbing.

Have a look at Stopcocks Women Plumbers for some in-depth information on women in the plumbing industry and what it takes.

Hang your heads in shame with all your sexist comments.

We all know she should be at home doing her womans work.

lass on my plumbing course at college used to have more black eyes than the whole class of youngsters, scared me!, also her 2 front teeth were chipped from fighting, no one would have dared suggest she shouldnt be a plumber:), however she threatened the teaching staff and got the heave ho.

Hang your heads in shame with all your sexist comments.

We all know she should be at home doing her womans work.

some jobs are only suitable for a man and some jobs are more suitable for a woman.

a man should never use an iron, unless he's playing golf :wink_smile:

personally Id rather see a lady in a boiler suit than croppie, if she's up to it, go for it.

Hi & Welcome

Go for it, the only female plumber I know has loads of work, vunerable people (orphanages, battered women hostels etc..), the coy she works for love it as she has the all clear on the CRB check and has a a great rapport with custards

Scared her off. Not a good sign if can't take a bit of ribbing in this industry :)

Hi guys, I know the last post was a week ago, but here I go.

First of all, I had a wee giggle at everything said. Secondly, I'm female too, only 21 mind you but I'm still hoping I'm not too old to get myself into an apprenticeship and learn a trade. C'mon, there's only so many sandwiches a girl can make before she gets bored of the kitchen. :p

Hi guys, I know the last post was a week ago, but here I go.

First of all, I had a wee giggle at everything said. Secondly, I'm female too, only 21 mind you but I'm still hoping I'm not too old to get myself into an apprenticeship and learn a trade. C'mon, there's only so many sandwiches a girl can make before she gets bored of the kitchen. :p

Try ring around your local colleges, and start talking to local plumbers, maybe put an advert up in a local merchants? Good luck

Thanks, I've already got an interview with my local college. Tried calling around the plumbers here, but no one's in any position to take an apprentice on at the moment. Hoping to find something either with the placement from college, or during my course.

Thanks again. :)

You should be at home having babies and doing your womens work. :hand:

I have a strange fear of children, they make more noise than your average smoke alarm. Women's work? Pfft. Men look so much more fetching in an apron and marigolds than I do. :smilewinkgrin:

I have a strange fear of children, they make more noise than your average smoke alarm. Women's work? Pfft. Men look so much more fetching in an apron and marigolds than I do. :smilewinkgrin:

I would beg to differ. I would rather look at you in an apron and marigolds than any of the hairy bummed eejits we have on here!

But I agree with you on children. Their eyes are too close together and their hands are freakishly small. They clearly can't be trusted!

Good luck Kieta, keep coming back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, thanks croppie, I appreciate the welcome.
Have you ever thought about waxing the hairy bummed eejits first, though? There could be room for improvement. :smilewinkgrin:

@system3 Yeah, there's hardly anything going around. With any luck there'll be places with a council. It's hardly a stone's throw from here, but Aberdeen council are recruiting for a few different apprenticeship positions. That gives me a smidgeon of hope that the other more local councils might follow suit.

Thanks guys. :icon7:

Think carefully before you choose to go the "stopcocks" route, I know of three ladies who signed up with this company and felt it cost them financially more than they got in return ? ask lots of questions before you commit to anything ! ( no disrespect to "Stopcocks" , it just didn't work out for these girls )

Thanks a lot, Paulus. I really appreciate you saying that; I always felt I had metaphorical balls of steel. :smilewinkgrin:

And cheers for the advice, Mugwuffin. That's certainly something to make a girl pause and think twice. Hey, if you never ask questions, where will the answers come from?

I've got to say, you're all incredibly welcoming and thank you for all of your advice.

Lol! Don't you force me to dig the dictionary out, I'll find more. Like... Antidisestablishmentarianism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career change for a female of 36???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock