Search the forum,

Discuss Carbon monoxide monitor 12ppm, need advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but need advice from a professional if possible please.
We've just moved house and have 2 carbon monoxide alarms - one in the kitchen which doesn't have a digital display and one in the living room which does.
The one in the living room has mainly been at 0ppm but 3 or 4 times over the last couple of hours has gone up to 11-12ppm for a few minutes. It hasn't alarmed, I'm just watching it. We have the heating on and obviously no windows open as it's freezing outside.
We took it into the kitchen when cooking and it went up to 17ppm - I presume this is normal with a gas hob on? The small window was open.
The house has an ancient boiler in the kitchen and 3 gas fires which we are going to get capped off and removed when we can afford it.
Is the monitor reading 11-12ppm now and again worrying? As the monitor doesn't display below 11ppm I'm worried our 'levels' are hovering around 9-10 and just occasionally going up to 11-12 and therefore showing on the display.
All the other rooms in the house seem to show 0ppm. My room was 11ppm for a minute then went to 0 again.
I've had a good look online and there isn't a clear answer - one website says constant exposure to 9ppm can be dangerous. Others say not to worry unless it alarms.
Thanks if you got this far and any advice would be massively appreciated. I might just be overreacting! Will get out a gas safe engineer if needed.

If I remember rightly, 70ppm is when you want to worry but to be on the safe side i would get an enginner in to check the house over. Even if the fires aren't removed, just capping them off won't take long so shouldn't cost too much and at least you'll have peace of mind.

Thanks for your reply. We've only been in 4 nights, the first 2 mornings I did wake up feeling a bit groggy but we'd been that busy moving I just put it down to being knackered. No one else has complained of any symptoms. The website saying constant exposure to 9ppm has worried me I suppose, we have a 2 year old so she'd be more sensitive. Yeah I think we better have them capped off to be certain. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. We've only been in 4 nights, the first 2 mornings I did wake up feeling a bit groggy but we'd been that busy moving I just put it down to being knackered. No one else has complained of any symptoms. The website saying constant exposure to 9ppm has worried me I suppose, we have a 2 year old so she'd be more sensitive. Yeah I think we better have them capped off to be certain. Thanks again.
Good choice, I certainly wouldn't risk it. Trouble with co alarms is they go off when it's a get out the house now scenario, some people are more sensitive to prolonged exposure to low levels than others so while you may have mild symptoms, your partner may not.

I’m not GSR but work with oil and agree with Craig above. Carbon monoxide is measured in ppm (parts per million). Like he said at around 70ppm you could expect symptoms like he asked, the affects felt can vary between individual, their age and wether they have any underlying health conditions ie heart problems etc. Anything above that and symptoms will get worse and anything above 150-200ppm can result in death. These guys have a tag by their name for a reason, they know their stuff and their advice is top.

Thanks if you got this far and any advice would be massively appreciated. I might just be overreacting! Will get out a gas safe engineer if needed.

Has someone blocked any air vents to prevent drafts? Gas hobs give off carbon monoxide if the ventilation of the kitchen is inadequate or the humidity is too high. If the flames are yellow (not enough air) or orange (water vapour) then something is definitely wrong and you should not use the hob until it is fixed.

Your ancient boiler is another potential source as you obviously realise. Look for stains on the wall close to it and the flue. If there is an inspection window are the flames blue (good) or yellow (bad).

You are not over-reacting. You need to get a Gas Safe engineer to visit and check the boiler and ventilation as soon as possible. Meanwhile, try to ventilate the kitchen by opening the windows (and back door if you have one) for ten or twenty minutes to get some fresh air in and the CO out.

Has someone blocked any air vents to prevent drafts? Gas hobs give off carbon monoxide if the ventilation of the kitchen is inadequate or the humidity is too high. If the flames are yellow (not enough air) or orange (water vapour) then something is definitely wrong and you should not use the hob until it is fixed.

Your ancient boiler is another potential source as you obviously realise. Look for stains on the wall close to it and the flue. If there is an inspection window are the flames blue (good) or yellow (bad).

You are not over-reacting. You need to get a Gas Safe engineer to visit and check the boiler and ventilation as soon as possible. Meanwhile, try to ventilate the kitchen by opening the windows (and back door if you have one) for ten or twenty minutes to get some fresh air in and the CO out.

Thanks that’s really useful. The boiler flames are definitely blue. I’ll check the hob tomorrow. Not sure about blocking up vents, I’ll check that tomorrow too. We’ll get an engineer out ASAP just for peace of mind. Thank you.

My advice to anyone with an open flues boiler is to have it serviced BEFORE using it as a new occupier. If faulty, they are lethal.

You are NOT over reacting, but I find it a little odd that you have concerns about CO and have not had the boiler checked. Frankly, that is ridiculous.

Go to the Gas Safe website, and locate the Find an Installer section. Enter your details, and you will get a list of local RGI’s. They are not necessarily able to give a quite, but ask HOW they charge, before engaging. And check if cost includes VAT. It is illegal to quote without VAT, if you charge it, but it is common practice to do so.

Finally, have you seen the CO chart here, I suspect that you have:

Detectcarbonmonoxide.com

Well if being ridiculous involves having initial concerns on Saturday night and immediately seeking advice from professionals on here then so be it.

Yes in hindsight I should have had it checked before I moved in but I didn’t. We’ve been in less than a week. I will in future.

Someone’s been out today and everything is sorted.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Well if being ridiculous involves having initial concerns on Saturday night and immediately seeking advice from professionals on here then so be it.

Yes in hindsight I should have had it checked before I moved in but I didn’t. We’ve been in less than a week. I will in future.

Someone’s been out today and everything is sorted.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Pleased it's sorted, did the engineer give any info as to what the cause was?

I wouldn't read too much into the last comment. Most people won't even give the boiler a thought when they first move in. You did the right thing by fitting a co alarm and then seeking professional advice. You solved the problem before it became one so nothing ridiculous at all about you handled this.

CO will migrate, if you have a flueless appliance in the kitchen and you haven’t ventilated the room well then it’s possible the living room alarm will be picking up products of combustion from appliance in the kitchen, hence why it increased when you took it into the kitchen, as mentioned, definitely worth getting all appliances serviced / checked for safe operation before use.

Reply to Carbon monoxide monitor 12ppm, need advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
England is joining Scotland and requiring carbon monoxide alarms installed in rented properties from the 1st of October. How would you categoryies one not being there on a CP12. At risk?
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Two quick questions: 1 If a central heating system is installed, should a Carbon Monoxide monitor be part of that install (ie should it be the qualified engineers responsibility to install)? 2 What's the best place to position one? Many thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock