Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Carbon Monoxide Alarms in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I have been told that all CO alarms are unsafe after 2 years. The chemicals in the sensor degrade and are unreliable after two years. The scary bit is when the test button is pressed it only indicates battery status not the ablity of the unit to detect CO. There is no reliable way to test as cans of CO are not available. Is this right and if so all CO alarms should be stamped with a dispose of date. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Aico units have a 10 year life and the replace by date is normally shown on a label on the unit...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Doubt that is true Rob or there would be a massive product recall

• Like Like x 2
  4. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Hmm. Think of things this way Rob. If you sold your top up system and it simply stopped working after 12 months, just how quiet would you be able to keep that news? Upscale that to a safety critical device and how long would that be kept quiet?

Bear in mind local fire brigades across the UK have been fitting these for many years now too and I feel sure they'd have noticed and kicked off big style.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rob Foster

Thanks that is just what this forum is all about, I will go back to my informant cheers
    Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

There's a quote from John Stones from a few years ago that could be the source of your information:

Test Button on Carbon Monoxide Alarms Does Not Test Them

I wouldn't want to generalise about all CO detectors but I'd agree with him that in order to test a gas detector properly it needs to be exposed to a known concentration of the gas it is designed to detect, i.e. CO in this case.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I agree but whilst I wouldn’t want to play devils advocate with somebody’s life I struggle to understand how these manufacturers can offer a 10 year guarantee if the product is not suitable for public consumption

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rob Foster

I agree and this is why I asked
    I have been brought up to challenge and not blindly accept, hence my intrest. I have an imminent appointment at my local fire station to discuss these very points....I have also rental properties and want my guests to be safe, and my understanding of gas regs is that if younarevaware of a problem you obliged to report it
    regardless of where

9. Rob Foster

Grenfell Tower ....springs to mind. centralheatking
    I hope I am wrong

10. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

Nest has 10 year sensor life

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob Foster

Maybe an alert to bin all pre 2015 co monitors or test them might be the safe approach
    centralheatking

13. Rob Foster

Thank you thats brilliant but unless you do multiple tests nobody will spend £16.00 on testing a £10.00 sensor..Inwill right now...as I have properties
    and need to be sure
    thank you regards

14. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

So CO Alarm test button doesn't test the sensor and that makes it unsafe for continued use?
    Does a Smoke alarm button test the sensor?
    Does a Heat alarm button test the sensor?

Surely the test button is more about whether the unit is powered.
    Manufacturers spend millions on development of safety items to a point that they can guarantee with reasonable certainty that they will work for that guaranteed time.

What tests that a Car airbag is actually going to go off?
    What tests that a car inertia seat belt will lock up?

The list is endless.

15. Rob Foster

hey I dont know all the answers but if I was pressing the test button on a CO monitor and think all is ok for my family or guests to go sleep and have a inkling it is not, then I posted it on here ...thats why, prove me wrong please do lets all be safe
    Rob Foster ..centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1