Search the forum,

Discuss Can't get UV cylinder to drain - any advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

My first post.

Can't get an old Ariston uv cylinder to drain. Attached drain hose, isolated cold, opened hot tap until it stopped running, opened drain valve, opened temp relief. No water. Swung off temp relief and prv for an hour - won't drain. Opened cold to see if I get a siphon going through drain off. Water went through drain off but didn't create the siphon I hoped for.

I'm thinking it's either sludged up or it's a massive airlock.

I've got my unvented ticket.

Can anyone offer any advice? Really appreciate advice from anyone who's had this happen.

Cheers

J

Tried that - pulled it out with a pair of pliers with my eyes half closed waiting for 150 litres of water to hit me.

Now need to poke something through to make sure it’s not blocked warning water will start to come out

My preferred method to drain any cylinder is undo hot take off, insert length of hose and syphon out the contents - works regardless of scale and is much quicker. Either run hose to outside or a convenient bath/lavatory.
This old beast has got soldered fittings on hot and cold outlets - can't even crack a nut to let some air in. Think Ill try to partially open the temp relief valve and then get the wet vac on the end of the hose. See if I can start to siphon it out that way. I'll cut in to the pipe as soon as I can to create a vent. I tried everything earlier and couldn't get the water to run. Headache

Connect hose & open drain off with the cold mains turned on, if water comes out under mains pressure, it is not blocked & just need air to be allowed in.
Siphoning is OK if you can get a good drop on the hose, even better is a small compressor on the hot outlet. Even if drain off blocked you can normally get it to drain out of the PR Valve or get one of those self cutting drain off's.

This old beast has got soldered fittings on hot and cold outlets - can't even crack a nut to let some air in. Think Ill try to partially open the temp relief valve and then get the wet vac on the end of the hose. See if I can start to siphon it out that way. I'll cut in to the pipe as soon as I can to create a vent. I tried everything earlier and couldn't get the water to run. Headache

Stop being a god damn ***** boy, heat up the hot water draw off union nut with a blow torch and get a big pair of shifters on it.... not stilsons though, as the hot brass will crush the nut.

Update on the cylinder - got the beast out the day after. The most clogged up I've come seen. When I tipped it up to empty the last bit of water into a drain, nothing came out. Just a sound of rocks rattling around at the bottom of the cylinder. I could hear a bit of water sploshing round in there too, just couldn't get past years of crap at the bottom. Sounded like a couple of half eaten immersions were lurking down there

Reply to Can't get UV cylinder to drain - any advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a steady stream without stopping. Seems to be coming from water heater but I cannot tell. It is cold water. When I turn off the main water supply, it...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
Help! I’ve turned off the gate valve that supplies my toilet white goods. Now it won’t open. It’s turning but water not flowing through. I need to drain the cold tank to replace the gate valve but the cold tank goes to a pump and I when I turn off the water, no cold water comes through the taps...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock