Search the forum,

Discuss Can metric be used instead of inch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I am about to buy a stock of adapter for water purifier (faucet divertor. please see attached picture), some chinese factories only work with metric system and I wonder if I can use them. my questions are:
1. Some answers I got is that the most common tap would be 55/64(at the connection point to an aerator). Do you agree that this would be the most widely used?
2. Since it is 22mm metric vs. 21.83mm (55/64inch x 25.4mm), and since factories that work with the US make only metric, can I assume that 22mm is also used in the US (no damage and no leaking?).
Thank You

mounting_on_tap.jpg

Metric and imperial threads are not compatible even if they appear to be similar sizes.

Sounds like you are from the US?

Might get a better response from a US forum?

You may get a better answer if you post your question on a US site. This is UK plumbers forums, and I'm assuming your question relates to a US tap?

EDIT Sorry Simon, posts crossed!

Thanks Guys.
Yes I noticed the site name */co.uk only after posting...

UK moved to metric like other European countries?
Maybe mixture, Imperial and Metric? If so, what is more used in the UK?
Thank You

We use metric copper and plastic, in 15mm and 22mm, these being roughly equivalent to half and three quarter inch bore copper. In steel, we continue to use imperial (inch) sizes and BSP threads. Threads tend to be BSP as Simon has said, so we often use 1/2"BSP x 15mm connectors, for example.
Continental Europe tends to use copper pipe in 10/12/14/16mm sizes, not our 15mm, thus we continue to be weird and different, but they use a lot of steel and in imperial sizes (not metric, not in Italy, anyway). And our plumbing systems have, historically, been very different (and still are not altogether the same).

Summary
Copper and plastic in UK: metric.
Threads in UK: generally British standard pipe
Steel pipe in UK: Imperial (inch) sizes
Plastic waste pipe in UK: described in metric external diameter sizes, but very often referred to by the type of plastic and approximate nominal bore in inches.

Yes, the UK is metric, but the plumbing practices common in UK are often different from those on the continent. Also, although we do use metric sizes of copper pipe, we rarely use or have access to the same sizes of pipe as the continentals do.

Afraid I can't make it simple, because it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can metric be used instead of inch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Construction-Board-1200-x-800-x-12mm/p/225437 Found this. Just wondered if it can be used instead of tile backer boards. I realise that I need a 1wmm board to make up a gap between wall and shower tray, but the STS tile backer board is only 10mm. I did consider dot...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running for much over a minute (sometimes less). Since the weather has gotten cooler, the radiators seem to come on (unless turned off at the TRV) whenever a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock