Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Can i use a ball lever as mains stopcock in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. marc1977

marc1977 Member

Hi,

Is it OK to use a ball lever as a mains stopcock? ive read a few old threads but none of them seem to have definitive answer! also can you use plastic / push fit off a mains stopcock or does it have to be copper?

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I use them as stopcocks , but not cheap ones . No reason why you cant use plastic , but I defo wouldn’t.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tea-Break

Tea-Break Member

Providing the valve in question has appropriate WRAS approval, I see no problem.
    You can buy stopcocks with push fit connections, although again it would need approval to demonstrate compliance with Water Regs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Personally I always added them rather than replaced. The lever gave a quick easy on/off but ultimately the BS1010 with a rubber washer will prove more usable/reliable over long periods IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BYP

BYP GSR

Why do you want to use a lever valve? If it’s because they are easier to turn for the elderly, then I would install a surestop if it’s possible. If you install a surestop you will need to put a either a lever valve or a standard stop tap before the surestop. To answer your original question yes you can use a lever valve.

• Like Like x 1
  6. YorkshireDave

Having installed many surestops many elderly still do not have the strength to operate them. A lever is pulled about the moment of closure and is a sphere. A surestop takes great 'point' pressure from a thumb which many just can't do. Sorry, BYP but I'm a pragmatist ;)

7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No you can’t water board dont like you using them so they could make you change it

Don’t ask me why as I personally don’t see an issue

8. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

Lever valves are not stop cocks.
    If you use a lever valve you will need to install a backflow prevention valve downstream of the lever valve.

The idea is that if the mains are switched off, water from your property cannot enter the mains - potentially contaminating the mains water supply.
    So I would say you can use one with an approved backflow prevention valve.

We generally install dual check valves downstream if the lever valve

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. townfanjon

Nah , they dont own the stoptap .

Personally I think they think down the lines of the “lever arms” have not been around to “stand the test of time “ .

10. CBW1982

CBW1982 Member

See attached photo. They don’t own the stoptap but they are responsible for enforcing the water regulations and may legally ask for it to be removed if they are not happy with the fitting if it contravenes the regulations. o_O

3D0842B5-8E57-4EBC-A4F1-3B38B11D00D4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. YorkshireDave

Excuse me for being a pedant, but I'd appreciate a re-read girls. I said I put BOTH in... ;)

Oh, just a point of clarification. Since when does a BS1010 stop valve have a backflow prevention device installed? The only stop tap of any repute I can find is Peglers (it's the only one WRAS approved), and it does not have one!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM
  12. townfanjon

Unless the full link isnt working and there’s something else , it says Yes !!
    I would love to see the waterboard tell some of my customers their lever arm is coming out !!
    I have spent years telling and training them to turn off their water when they go away , they love em and use them because its easy . Go back to stop taps and they wouldn’t bother lol .

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. YorkshireDave

Quite right Jon. Oh and telling them to remove it would directly contravene their mandate so they waste water! Bl00dy rules!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tea-Break

Tea-Break Member

All current BS1010 stopcocks, are fixed jumper.
    So no backflow protection.
    There is no requirement for this at point of entry to a property... just means of isolation with a DoC immediately downstream.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Just to add to the backflow prevention at the incoming main question, our backflow prevention comes from a variety of methods, though mainly air gaps, at the point of use or point of storage and not at the main where it enters the property.