Search the forum,

Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely correct in my last post, phone h&S or gas safe there in no question on this absolutely. If you think otherwise you need to do some revision and get specific answers to your thoughts. The original post was can I service my gas boiler If am not gas safe registered. The answer is no you cant. Nothing to do with competetance..read the regs

not thoughts but facts from gas regs and posted on here.

can you please provide evidence to support your claims as everything i have read so far i see none of this

I think this is dangerous even to discuss this as there are so many differences of opinion. To be sure you should ask the appropriate authorities. I have found this on the Gas Safe website which some of you may find interesting http://www.User PlumbersForums.net ...f/Who can legally work on a gas appliance.pdf after all they are appointed by the HSE. So one would assume that they would not give out false information.

produced by gas safe for the purposes of fee paying clients in a bid to educate them

this is not written law such as the regs and therefore clarity is sourced from the regs which has greater detail

Regs are soon to be changed from what i have been told to close this loophole of non Gas safe registered people tinkering on appliances.

why would it be changed, what is wrong with a competent person servicing a boiler registered or not?

where does it say in the regs "A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E." ?
Here is an extract from the regs below

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—
(a)​
the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)​
the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

Thought I'd made it clear, the first part of my post referred to competency, you showed that i n your response. The second part of the post referred to that relevent part you want to know about. You can't work on it mate full stop, I'm out of this post it's becoming frustrating. You can tell people but if they won't listen to facts (which cannot, by definition, be argued against), then time is being wasted

Difficult to believe this debate is still going on, as we have been working under this registration requirement since 1991.

Competence: A person with relevant training, qualification and experience to carry out the nature of work safely. (ACS was introduced to help you proove this) With out it you will have a hard time prooving this in court) Thanks Danny Pipe for your like minded comment.

Gas work: if you are employed of self employed to carry out gas work you must be registered with the approved body (Gas Safe Register). This includes wether you do it for free or get paid for the work.

DIY: Most DIY people will be unable to proove competence (Where's their ACS certificate?) It may be that you are a gas registered engineer for the company you are employed with, but not as an individual; therefore you can do gas work at home because you hold an ACS cert for the work you wish to undertake.

All this information is available within the ACOP document for the gas safety (installation& use) regulations.

I can't believe this thread is still active. Please read my contribution carefully. the information is in the regulations.

If you are employed to do gas work you must be registered with the approved body (GSR) and GSR will check that you are competent before you are registered (ACS prooves this)

If you do it for your self you must be competent not registered.

Thanks to all the common sense contibutions, especially Tamz, who bothered to list the requirements directly from the regulations.

I can't believe this thread is still active. Please read my contribution carefully. the information is in the regulations.

If you are employed to do gas work you must be registered with the approved body (GSR) and GSR will check that you are competent before you are registered (ACS prooves this)

If you do it for your self you must be competent not registered.

Thanks to all the common sense contibutions, especially Tamz, who bothered to list the requirements directly from the regulations.
Reg Man, I just think fuzzy may be winding everyone up mate, he has to be, no one could argue facts which have been illustrated without realising they are wrong.

Thought I'd made it clear, the first part of my post referred to competency, you showed that i n your response. The second part of the post referred to that relevent part you want to know about. You can't work on it mate full stop, I'm out of this post it's becoming frustrating. You can tell people but if they won't listen to facts (which cannot, by definition, be argued against), then time is being wasted

Sorry rory but your post does not make it clear and I am sorry to say is incorrect. Your original quote appears to be a mix of the two regs which is misleading for those who do not know.
I'll hopefully clear this up for you. (BTW when you say I cannot work on it I presume you are referring to those not qualified which I am, ACOPs and just done my ACS for the 3rd time). It may help your frustration if you read the regs carefully.
You have quoted were it says that employed or self employed must be of a class of persons approved by the HSE ie. gas safe.

3. - (3) no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.(4) .

However that has nothing to do with somebody working on their own boiler for no financial gain. The only rule required for that is that they are competent, you dont have to be registered to be competent.

This is the reg that refers to the OP.

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

I'm not trying to put you down, but I am worried that people reading these threads may be misled by incorrect information. It is important to the board that incorrect information is cleared up for the readers so they can be informed.

Reg Man, I just think fuzzy may be winding everyone up mate, he has to be, no one could argue facts which have been illustrated without realising they are wrong.

sorry rory but i think he may have been agreeing with me, Reg Mans quote was referring to employed also, the OP is not and there in lies the difference

Sorry rory but your post does not make it clear and I am sorry to say is incorrect. Your original quote appears to be a mix of the two regs which is misleading for those who do not know.
I'll hopefully clear this up for you. (BTW when you say I cannot work on it I presume you are referring to those not qualified which I am, ACOPs and just done my ACS for the 3rd time). It may help your frustration if you read the regs carefully.
You have quoted were it says that employed or self employed must be of a class of persons approved by the HSE ie. gas safe.

3. - (3) no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.(4) .

However that has nothing to do with somebody working on their own boiler for no financial gain. The only rule required for that is that they are competent, you dont have to be registered to be competent.

This is the reg that refers to the OP.

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

I'm not trying to put you down, but I am worried that people reading these threads may be misled by incorrect information. It is important to the board that incorrect information is cleared up for the readers so they can be informed.

Lol! get outta here you wind up merchant, not biting any more

Lol! get outta here you wind up merchant, not biting any more

Not intended to make you or anyone else bite, just look at the facts again with a frsh view.

The regs show you can service your own boiler if you are competent and have the relevent competences/skills, no need to be registered for that.

ok then can I service my own car without being registered .
Yes
Can I change the brakes on my own car
Yes
can I change the brakes on my neighbors 1981 jag without being registered
yes I did it last sunday

another bit of spice

I am sorry again Rory but your facts stated that competence meant being registered, I fail to see this quote anywhere, could you please show me where this quote came from or I will be led to believe you created it yourself.

On another point consider this,

A person passes their ACS and has a wealth of expereince, they register and work on gas for 2 years. In year 3 they decide they want to try something else and do not continue with their registration. Two days later their boiler is due for a service, can they do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
A new lean on a very controversial thread.

many years ago over 45 in fact I was installing heating systems for commercial and residential, some 30 or so started trading as sole trader, Gas work was included. In 1993 I became a registered corgi member and remained on that register for a few years paying my dues. I stopped gas work for two reasons, firstly Gas work was only ancillary to the contracts and having to take responsibility for a whole existing installation on the basis of my own sub assembly responsibilities became an issue with two residential customers in particular, and made me feel uncomfortable. ( i condemned an existing gas fire in a property, established through a standard gas test). Secondly the fees were increasing and it did not seem to make economic sense.

A lot of people seem to be driven in their viracitude by the fact that they have to pay quite large sums to remain on the register and therefore appear resentful, however the anger I believe may be misplaced. The issue after all is one of GAS SAFETY, not club membership.

Nevertheless as I have been deemed competent by being a once registered and fully paid member of Corgi for several years, do the members consider that I am still deemed legally competent to install a boiler in my own property for my own use now that I guess I am not on the current register as a paid up member.

In my opinion
A person passes their ACS and has a wealth of expereince, they register and work on gas for 2 years. In year 3 they decide they want to try something else and do not continue with their registration. Two days later their boiler is due for a service, can they do it?

the answer is morally NO. (protection of customers interests)

A new lean on a very controversial thread.

many years ago over 45 in fact I was installing heating systems for commercial and residential, some 30 or so started trading as sole trader, Gas work was included. In 1993 I became a registered corgi member and remained on that register for a few years paying my dues. I stopped gas work for two reasons, firstly Gas work was only ancillary to the contracts and having to take responsibility for a whole existing installation on the basis of my own sub assembly responsibilities became an issue with two residential customers in particular, and made me feel uncomfortable. ( i condemned an existing gas fire in a property, established through a standard gas test). Secondly the fees were increasing and it did not seem to make economic sense.

A lot of people seem to be driven in their viracitude by the fact that they have to pay quite large sums to remain on the register and therefore appear resentful, however the anger I believe may be misplaced. The issue after all is one of GAS SAFETY, not club membership.

Nevertheless as I have been deemed competent by being a once registered and fully paid member of Corgi for several years, do the members consider that I am still deemed legally competent to install a boiler in my own property for my own use now that I guess I am not on the current register as a paid up member.

In my opinion

the answer is morally NO. (protection of customers interests)

customer interests? its their own boiler

no dude u should not do that ...u need some knowledgeable guys or registered plz have them

he couldnt pay knowledgeable or registered , he would have to pay a registered person by law. However if he was kneoledgeable and had the relevant competences he would be fine, also law

I couldn't resist another stab at this, seeing as its dragged on for so long.

My opinion is that to work on a gas appliance (unpaid) you do not have to be registered but you do have to show competence.

After all Corgi and Gas safe are just a list of competent engineers?

My understanding of competence is someone who can safely carry out the work?

My question to throw in there is that I don't think you have to be Gas safe registered but you would need to be ACS current otherwise how do you know if you are working to "current" guidelines?

On my last renewal the only change was that I can now work on bigger meters and pipework?
but what if a more important change to the regulations was to happen? Would I be aware of it and could I still be deemed competent?

I couldn't resist another stab at this, seeing as its dragged on for so long.

My opinion is that to work on a gas appliance (unpaid) you do not have to be registered but you do have to show competence.

After all Corgi and Gas safe are just a list of competent engineers?

My understanding of competence is someone who can safely carry out the work?

My question to throw in there is that I don't think you have to be Gas safe registered but you would need to be ACS current otherwise how do you know if you are working to "current" guidelines?

On my last renewal the only change was that I can now work on bigger meters and pipework?
but what if a more important change to the regulations was to happen? Would I be aware of it and could I still be deemed competent?
you are correct, however its not compulsory to have your acs to prove competence but its difficult to prove without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock