Search the forum,

Discuss Can I re-use corrosion inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to attempt some work on my central heating system which will involve partially draining it down, possibly a number of times.

I have a small water pump, so in theory I could keep the drained water and pump it back into my system. Then I wouldn't have to worry about replacing the corrosion inhibitor and getting the concentration right.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? One potential problem I can think of is if the corrosion inhibitor degrades when exposed to air, so keeping it in a bucket would be bad for it. I don't know if this is the case. Any thoughts?

No and as you have said which is correct

Inhb degrades over time and needs refreshing/replacing

No take the opportunity to drain and flush the system your system water will contain contaminates and the inhibitor will be degraded all systems should be drained flushed and refilled with fresh inhibitor added every 5 years this is my opion.cheers kop

I've done it before for a guy who insisted he didn't want new water in the system as it would introduce fresh air and lead to corrosion. I used lots of buckets and poured back into the F & E. It didn't seem to do the system any harm, and the customer's family had plenty of buckets to play with (which were cheaper than inhibitor).

Appreciate the advice everyone. I was interested in what the manufacturers advised so I asked them (Sentinel). Their reply:

---

X100 does not degrade with air contact and in theory it could be drained from a system and then reinstated.
I would just like you to note that whilst this could be done we would not recommend it as the system water removed could contain debris. We would always recommend filling with new water and re-dosing with X100.

For what it would cost just renew it while you have an opportunity......while spoil the ship for an ' apporth of tar...regards Turnpin

What if the OP wants to re-use the less cruddy water on all the several refills but the last one, and then, finally, do a full hot flush with the old water, drain down again, and refill with fresh inhibitor?
After all, if the system is to be drained several times, this could be a lot of wasted inhibitor.
I can't see a problem with that approach and, unless the buckets are bought for this single purpose and then landfilled, then the OP should be applauded for avoidance of chemical waste.

FFS, just spend the tenner and put fresh in, if it's only a couple of days in between fills/drains no need for inhibitor

Firemant: while, agreed, that it's not something either of us would do out of choice, what harm can it do, provided any sludgy water is not re-used and any containers used are clean? (Perhaps the whole lot could be stored and allowed to settle out in a bath?).

The OP is not a professional, and isn't charging himself for his time. On the minimum wage, it can take two hours' work to pay for a bottle of inhibitor - carrying water back into the loft would therefore save, not waste time. I believe that if the OP is asking the question 'can I', we have to assume the OP thinks it is worth the time taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I re-use corrosion inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock