Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Can I install a Thermostatic Shower? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

I have a Vented Gravity Fed system where the bottom of the Loft Tanks is 2.3m above the the Shower Mixer. Can I install a Thermostatic Shower and where would be a good place to get a modern looking External Mixer, Dual Head Shower?

Thank you

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Get one from any good plumbing supplies, go for a known make and tell them its for a low pressure system.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

You need balanced supplies as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

If the shower mixer valve is 2.3M below the cold water storage cistern, (CWSC) then the shower head is likely to be 1.3M below the CWSC. This will give you a pressure of approximately 0.13 bar. You need to be sure that the shower you choose will give a decent flow at that low a pressure.
    Assuming the vented cylinder is fed from the CWSC, than you have balanced supplies.
    You could fit a shower pump to improve pressure, but any pump would require dedicated feeds from the CWSC and from the hot water cylinder, the latter via a special flange.

5. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

Only if the cold feed is also taken from the CWSC to the shower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fixitflav

fixitflav Active Member

I have a gravity shower with similar head and it's fine. Many years ago I installed one in a previous house (same head) and wanting to go the whole hog I got one with separate flow and temperature control. It was fine but I now realise the flow control was unnecessary as while the flow is adequate, you'll never want to turn it down. So the current one has 1 knob, turn it ACW and cold flow starts, turn it further and temperature rises.
    If you haven't already planned the piping, you can take the hot supply from a tee on the vent pipe from the HW cylinder. Then you can run both pipes in the loft, to directly above the shower.

7. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Have a look below on victorian plumbing it can be done . kop