Search the forum,

Discuss Can I fit more than one mini Water Hammer Arrestor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be grateful for any advice re the following:

Background
I have a mini water hammer arrestor on the cold feed into my combi boiler, which is situated in the airing cupboard on my house's landing next to the bathroom. Please see the photo.
IMG_20140821_192830045.jpg

The arrestor was fitted when my old gravity central heating system was converted into a combi boiler system by BG. The arrestor was installed by BG to reduce reverberation in the pipes, which occurred when any of the taps (both hot and cold) in the kitchen and bathroom were turned off and to stop water shooting out of the instant shower over the bath (when turning off any of the taps in the bathroom). The arrestor also reduced some (but not all) of the clunking heard when my washing machine (situated in my kitchen downstairs) stops filling and when the toilet cistern in my bathroom stops filling.

The problem I'd like to solve
The first mini water hammer arrestor that BG installed only lasted about 2 years before it failed. It was then replaced with an identical one (almost 4 years ago) which initially worked almost as well as the BG one had done. However, just 5 months after installation, the replacement arrestor needed re-inflating. After re-inflation it has worked well to stop water shooting out of my over-the-bath instant shower, but the dampening of the reverberation (caused by taps being turned off and the clunking when my washing machine and toilet cistern stop filling) isn't as good as was achieved by the original BG arrestor.

I'm reluctant to replace my present mini arrestor as it is currently working well to stop water from shooting out of my shower, so would fitting a second mini water hammer arrestor on the same pipe (just above the existing arrestor) possibly further reduce the reverberation and clunking?

(I have thought that a water pressure reducing valve might be preferable to fitting another mini arrestor, but it would take a contortionist to get into my kitchen cupboard to fit one on the pipe between the stopcock and the kitchen sink taps.)

Many thanks in anticipation of any advice anyone can give me.

Not what I would do you could fit a larger vessel and bracketing up that pipework properly will also help . Cheers kop

Not what I would do you could fit a larger vessel and bracketing up that pipework properly will also help . Cheers kop
Hi, what size of vessel would you suggest and could it be located in the same position as the existing mini arrestor? Thanks.

This is how it should look mate each manufacturer will have their own version , 13 litres on the cold or the hot ?

Screenshot_20180723-151050_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180723-151106_Chrome.jpg

you wont need a pressure reducing valve you are a bit on the low side already 20 + litres a minute at 2- 3 bar is the norm, bracket the pipes up see if that makes a difference . cheers kop

you wont need a pressure reducing valve you are a bit on the low side already 20 + litres a minute at 2- 3 bar is the norm, bracket the pipes up see if that makes a difference . cheers kop
Was a pressure reading quoted? Didn’t think flow is what causes water hammer but excess pressure?

didn't realise this place was still running, thanks for the welcome, still some good ones here I see

Reactions: rpm
Was a pressure reading quoted? Didn’t think flow is what causes water hammer but excess pressure?
Agreed bud but if hes got 13 litres a minute out a cold water tap say in the kitchen with no restrictions then with no way of measuring the pressure he may aswell try a 1 litre potable expansion vessel on the boiler cold inlet and bracket the pipework up first was my thinking others may disagree . Cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I fit more than one mini Water Hammer Arrestor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock