Discuss Can I become a plumber if I hate physics? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is that possible?Can I become a plumber without thermodynamics?I'm not so good at this chapter and I want to know if I have a chance to use more math than physics.I really don't know how to solve PV-VT-PT diagrams and that might take some time until I fully understand them.What are your advices?Please don't leave my thread unanswered.I appreciate your help.

I forgot to ask something.How much thermodynamics do you need to know?Do you need the 2nd principle of thermodynamics?I don't know how to start.

Someone with a degree in physics and found out plumbers earn more?
No,I don't have a degree in physics.I'm a highschool student and I wanted to know if you use physics and chemistry in plumbing.I was never a college student.I read somewhere that both of these are required but they didn't specified what chapters they use in plumbing.I'm new in this and I want some clarification.

What do you think plumbing is / what do you think a plumber does?

TBH basic knowledge of chemistry same with thermal dynamics that's it's, more common sense than anything and willingness to learn

I started off heating and plumbing and there is money to be made if you work hard. I started by working shifts on the railway and building up my business either side of the early and late shifts days off and 'sick' days. You will get dirty esp if you do drainage, your knees might give out by 50. You might meet really nice and grateful customers and the usual crop of awkward ones - putting it nicely. Do not theorize too much just jump in and get going. Its a young mans game I grew to 20 or so fitters and drifted off into design and product development

I do use physics and chemistry as a designer, and in normal life its useful if you like to know how and why things are. I have never got beyond 1st chapter in Steven Hawkings popular book - 1st chapter easy 2nd bang !

My marriage certificate says Plumber and my sons' birth certificates. On my European patent certificates it say inventor take your choice.

Un-like the stuff you have learnt so far in your life which is all theory, what we learn in Plumbing is all applied. We can see why & how this information can be used, you will be amazed how much more interesting & therefore easy it is to learn when there are real life problem to be solved.
The direct answer to your question is that the level of both physics & maths required in UK plumbing is low, even at Level 3.

Last edited:
We all do (including you).
Including heat engine chapter(Otto and Diesel engines) and the 1st and 2nd principle of thermodynamics?
I really don't know how much thermodynamics I should study and I heard that most of the thermodynamics is for mechanics and firefighters.I don't want to learn at the level of a mechanic or firefighter.I want to learn thermodynamics at the level of a plumber and I don't want to learn complicated formulas.

You really are overthinking this unless it is the required knowledge where you live, where do you live viorelflower?

You really are overthinking this unless it is the required knowledge where you live, where do you live viorelflower?
Romania.You didn't exactly helped me as I expected..I wanted informations about the quantity of thermodynamics and chemistry used in plumbing...

The direct answer to your question is that the level of both physics & maths required in UK plumbing is low, even at Level 3.
???
Some examples of the basic stuff required.
Heat can only flow from hot to cold = heatloss for sizing heating systems.
Specific Heat Capacity = How much heat energy can stored = heating systems design / flow rates.
Density & expansion of water at difference temperatures = gravity circulation, expansion rates in systems.
PH scale etc.
It is that kind of think that is required.

Well I know a lady from Bulgaria who is very well versed in some complicated subjects which she started learning at a very young age compared to here in the UK so maybe you do have to know what you are asking in Romania.

Reply to Can I become a plumber if I hate physics? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back