1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Can anyone identify this old kitchen tap? I need a washer for it! in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Hi folks

    I much appreciate you help.

    Please see the attached pix of an old style kitchen tap. Can you tell me the name of the type of tap? And/or what type of washer I will need for it, and where I could get one?

    Many thanks!

  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Many thanks! You are a star. :)

    Indeed, that is the tap, and I have just read up on it. And thanks for the link for the new washer, you are so helpful.

    Apparently, you don't have to turn the mains off for this tap. Which is totally tragic, because I did just that, and now my stop cock has jammed shut, and I have no water... :(
  4. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Prob just stiff try a pair of pliers for some extra leverage

    They don’t normally stick shut

    But be careful


    Also don’t start projects this late at night start in the early morning eg 9am then you have a whole day if anything goes wrong
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Thank you once again. It's a bit strange. The stop cock is a regular compression type — the one with the bulge in it. The tap on it can be opened or shut no problem. But when it's now fully opened, only a little water flows. It's not been touched for many years, and I suspect the rubber washer has come off the end, and jammed in the seat somehow. I've tried to heat it with a hair dryer etc — but no result.

    Any ideas?
  6. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Red handle / round
  7. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Very similar to this. Very grateful for your assistance. images.jpeg
  8. Best

    Best Trusted Plumber

    If you have any spare old type ball valve washers, you could use one to put into the brass seating as a good temporary repair for your tap.
    Edit, - re the stopcock - it is probably jammed closed and worth trying to turn it full off and on a few times. If that doesn’t work then it will need your water mains turned off at road and stopcock works removed
  9. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Like this one ?

    The one you’ve posted normally get very little wrong with them might drip but normally don’t get stuck / won’t turn back on

  10. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Actually is this type — with one side slanted as in the pix.

  11. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Normally have no bother with them very strange sounds like the spindles gone inside for no water

    Should open / turn the handle around 5-6 full turns anti clockwise to open
  12. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Yes. It is strange. I have fully opened it. And tried opening/closing. Also tried a hairdryer. And some percussive maintenance. All to no avail. I guess I'll have to call someone out on Monday and fit a new one. You have been fantastic. Thank you so much.
  13. Best

    Best Trusted Plumber

    Sounds like the rubber washer has stuck and the water is passing through the hole in middle of washer.
    Or the brass jumper part has come free (which normally wouldn’t matter) but washer is stuck, so jumper remains in closed position
  14. Poogle

    Poogle New Member

    Now that is the truth! And especially don’t start them on a Saturday night, when everything is closed the next day! That’s me.
  15. CBW1982

    CBW1982 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Not everything. Toolstation, wickes, screwfix, B&Q to name a few.
Similar Threads - anyone identify kitchen Forum Date
Can anyone identify these taps? Plumbing Forum Jun 23, 2019
Anyone help identify these parts? Fittings & Pipes May 26, 2019