Search the forum,

Discuss can anyone help me with my cv, not getting anywhere with my current one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arron Lowley

Hi guys, i went to the Leeds college of building for 2 years and was awarded 2 certificates, I thought that this may help me to get an apprenticeship but I am starting to regret it, as I have had no luck within the past 2 years and i feel like giving up. I have applied online, rang people and also emailed people but nothing, I just received an email from one gent and he said

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]"The position on offer doesn't match with your profile and we will not be offering an interview at this stage"[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]This to me doesn't make sense as I went to college and know quite a bit about what would be required of me so how doesn't my profile fit.

will email my cv if needed, so that you can tell me what needs changing, thanks.

not even joking must have applied for about 15+ over the last 6 months, rung about 20 people and emailed another 20, doesn't add up.
[/FONT]

what were the certificates in?

Unfortunately at the moment the plumbing and heating trade is awash with people trying to get a foot in the door and has been for a few years now, the only advice I can offer above and beyond what you have already done is keep contacting people/firms but please realise it may take a long time before you get taken on.

Good luck and if your heart is set then you will be prepared to wait for an opportunity.

hi arron,

its a long hard struggle as there are 1000's of folk with the same papers as you have so to find a place is one thing- to get one is another!!

stick your cv up with just the relevant bits on and lets take a look see if someone can give pointer..

personally, best way to get started is to meet someone in the trade and offer to help for free to get into the knowledge.

Hi guys, I got these two certificates

achieved the ABC level 1 award in practical construction skills (plumbing) and the level 2 diploma in plumbing studies.

and this is the main part of my cv, i think its too long personally

I am a dedicated, professional, hard-working and organised person who always works to the best of my ability within any environment. This is due to my traits of being versatile and well equipped. I am also determined and pay close attention to detail within the tasks that I am assigned. I work exceptionally well on my own, but also work very well amongst other colleagues and I am keen to share ideas with them, that may help within the situation we are involved in.

I am a quick learner, who is always keen to learn new qualities and traits that will further my current knowledge. To conclude I class myself as a loyal, kind hearted and passionate person who would ensure not to disappoint.

I am a dedicated, professional, hard-working and organised person who always works to the best of my ability within any environment. This is due to my traits of being versatile and well equipped. I am also determined and pay close attention to detail within the tasks that I am assigned. I work exceptionally well on my own, but also work very well amongst other colleagues and I am keen to share ideas with them, that may help within the situation we are involved in.

I am a quick learner, who is always keen to learn new qualities and traits that will further my current knowledge. To conclude I class myself as a loyal, kind hearted and passionate person who would ensure not to disappoint.[/QUOTE]

That's a great insight to your personality, it's not too personnel and should definitely be on your cv.

wow, thanks for the input, appreciate it :), my grades aren't amazing, A mixture of D's, C's and Passes.

I wonder if employers think because my English grade is only a D, that my cv wasn't written by me, when I can assure it was. I got two marks of a C and they wouldnt have the decency to give me those 2 marks.

I really wouldn't worry too much about grades, if you can show people that you can learn and pick things up then you will be okay, from memory I've got a mixture of C's and D's but it's how you apply yourself that matters.

It just upsets me how many employers are more keen on taking on school leavers, just because they will receive more money for them, when there's people out there like me, who are willing to work hard.

plumbing is something that i want to spend my life doing and have had my mind set on it for the past 3 years, if only I had tried to get an apprenticeship straight after school I may not be in this situation.

I started my apprenticeship at 22 so don't think of age as a hurdle, the funding is there you just have to get a job to run along side it.

just hope i get one soon, at the moment I live with my girlfriend and her parents due to arguing with my mother who was basically trying to make me get any old job, when I said that plumbing was something I want so I moved out and refused to get any old job just because it pays which to some may sound bad but to me at least im not giving up. so atm I have no income and the dole is not an option I want to take.

You could offer a free trial to any perspective employer...

I don't see why you don't get a Job whilst looking! I got a job in my local heating spares place, got to learn all the components & see who comes through the door etc

Believe it or not, the last couple of apprentices I have taken on - and plumbers - are ones that come knocking on my door.

You get to see the person and have a chat with them.
You can generally work out, in a short amount of time, whether or not you are going to like this person or not.

As far as I'm concerned, CV's are a persons depiction of ones self and their qualifications.
Which is fair enough, because that's what they are.

But a couple of the kids I have taken on, I'm sure if they sent me their CV's, I wouldn't have binned them, I would have burnt them.

If I was you, I would start trying to get to meet some local plumbers face to face.
You never know, they might keep you details and offer some work or pass your details onto someone else they know who is looking for someone.

All the best

just hope i get one soon, at the moment I live with my girlfriend and her parents due to arguing with my mother who was basically trying to make me get any old job, when I said that plumbing was something I want so I moved out and refused to get any old job just because it pays which to some may sound bad but to me at least im not giving up. so atm I have no income and the dole is not an option I want to take.

actually not having any old job can work against you. Being in employment can show a prospective employer that you are employable.
Not having any job and not having any job for a length of time would make an employer question why you are unemployed.
As an employer myself if you said to me i wouldnt take any old job would ring alrm bells straight away and im afraid i wouldn't even consider you as a prospective employee, because it gives the impression you think some jobs are beneath you and an employer wants an employee who will do what it takes to get the job done even if its something you dont like doing.
Don't forget plumbing is not a glamourous job you can have a face full of urine faeces from unblocking drains toilets stuck under floor boards crawling through wet flooded floors.

Im not trying to have a go but your MUm is absolutely correct in saying you need to have a job any job even if its not plumbing. Having any job does stop you from pursuing a career in plumbing if you really want it.

Im not trying to have a go but your MUm is absolutely correct in saying you need to have a job any job even if its not plumbing. Having any job does stop you from pursuing a career in plumbing if you really want it.
Sorry my typo and it wont let me edit.

Does should read doesn't.

I just don't think your grades/qualifications are good enough to gain an apprenticeship so you might have to set your sights a bit lower, like a plumbers mate/labourer. If you're lucky and able a future boss might let you go on some sort of day release to improve them or attend night school. If I understand you correctly you've been out of work for a couple of years since leaving college and only applied 15+ jobs in six months? Really should be 15 a week.

get an ad in all your local merchants, knock on van windows if they are sign written as a plumber, one lad I know did this and after much pushing himself forward got a foot in the door. It isnt easy and you may have to go down labouring for a builder first to get some knowledge of the local plumbers who might then be willing to give you a try.

I just don't think your grades/qualifications are good enough to gain an apprenticeship so you might have to set your sights a bit lower, like a plumbers mate/labourer.

Sorry, but think this is an inaccurate and disheartening comment to make. You're grades are fine. Granted the colleges prefer grade C and above nowdays, but the fact you have achieved the certs you have shows a commitment that would level things out.

My advice, post cv's to all social housing landlords in your area, they like to invest in people and get ticks with government for doing so. Also ask at local merchants if you can put Cv up on notice board, don't just use plumbing merchants, use the builders too etc.
You could also start (If you are not doing nowt else) Go to the merchants between, 7.30-9am each morning and approach plumbers directly, just get them to take your Cv at least. Also approach all independent training providers, CITB, local councils they sometimes have connections to people who are looking for apprentices and will recommend you/ forward your Cv. In truth you just need to up your effort a little more....... keep at it and bug people, show determination and commitment.

When you do get a placement with an employer you should be guaranteed entry to college. Your selling point at present is with your level 2 plumbing diploma ( I'm assuming that is the 6035?) Means you wont have to attend for day release for at least a year or two as you have already done the tech cert side... you just need to do the NVQ now ;)

Best of luck to you, keep at it and it will happen ....

Sorry, but think this is an inaccurate and disheartening comment to make. You're grades are fine. Granted the colleges prefer grade C and above nowdays, but the fact you have achieved the certs you have shows a commitment that would level things out.

My advice, post cv's to all social housing landlords in your area, they like to invest in people and get ticks with government for doing so. Also ask at local merchants if you can put Cv up on notice board, don't just use plumbing merchants, use the builders too etc.
You could also start (If you are not doing nowt else) Go to the merchants between, 7.30-9am each morning and approach plumbers directly, just get them to take your Cv at least. Also approach all independent training providers, CITB, local councils they sometimes have connections to people who are looking for apprentices and will recommend you/ forward your Cv. In truth you just need to up your effort a little more....... keep at it and bug people, show determination and commitment.

When you do get a placement with an employer you should be guaranteed entry to college. Your selling point at present is with your level 2 plumbing diploma ( I'm assuming that is the 6035?) Means you wont have to attend for day release for at least a year or two as you have already done the tech cert side... you just need to do the NVQ now ;)

Best of luck to you, keep at it and it will happen ....
Good advice if i remember correctly you should be guaranteed at college upto the age of 24

Good advice if i remember correctly you should be guaranteed at college upto the age of 24

Rule of thumb in my experience to current time Jules is that if you get yourself an apprenticeship placement with someone, then the college HAS to take you regardless of your age, in other words you are guaranteed entry into college for your NVQ ;) I've known apprentices of 46 yrs of age. Two have just finished this year who are 35 and 37.

24 ?? You're still a pup trust me, and wouldnt be out of place at all in college at your age. just keep at it and you'll get your placement I'm sure ;))

Very true it could be that it is a free placement upto the age of 24. Above 24 pretty sure you or your employer has to pay

I just don't think your grades/qualifications are good enough to gain an apprenticeship so you might have to set your sights a bit lower, like a plumbers mate/labourer. If you're lucky and able a future boss might let you go on some sort of day release to improve them or attend night school. If I understand you correctly you've been out of work for a couple of years since leaving college and only applied 15+ jobs in six months? Really should be 15 a week.

Sorry I think that's harsh, judgemental and inaccurate. The lad may not be academically gifted but he's shown determination and passed his vocational certs.

The one thing I do agree with is that 15+ applications in 6 months is nowhere near enough. Emails and phone calls don't count I'm afraid - too easily forgotten about.

I'll read it tomoz too many beers in my system right now. But thanks anyway ,Happy to be proven wrong.

How are my grades too low? I know people with Gs and Fs who have apprenticeships, it's nothing to do with that at all, my grades aren't perfect but they're far higher than two of my mates who have apprenticeships, thanks for the positive info guys, I shall get my backside to the local merchants and ask all the plumbers I find for some work. And when I said "I don't wanna any old job" it's because I have my Heart and mind set on plumbing and I don't wanna to give up on that.

I also started off by doing what oz-plumber's apprentices did. There are hundreds of future plumbers out there sending in CVs like yourself, it wouldn't hurt to try a different approach. I'd also recommend trying to get a job in a hardware store or something while you wait, somehow it's always easier to get a job when you've already got one!

And when I said "I don't wanna any old job" it's because I have my Heart and mind set on plumbing and I don't wanna to give up on that.
i get the fact you have your heart set on plumbing. But your looking at it from your point of view rather than looking at it from the point of view from someone or a company and they would rather employ someone with a work history than someone who doesnt have history of employment. Get a part time job even it will leave you time to go to interviews.
If you dont i honestly feel you are putting yourself at a disadvantage over other potential apprentices and you have a lot competition so every little helps.

thanks for the replies, I am going to go to the local merchants this week and hand out my cvs to all plumbers i see, the only problem is I can get very nervous when i meet face to face with people and i get a very dry mouth (kinda weird i know), have you guys got any tips on how i should present myself ie, how i should open the first sentence i speak, would something like "good morning, my name is Arron and im currently looking for an apprenticeship, would it be ok if you take my cv, read it and get back to me on if you have any available or if you have any work i could help you out with just to give me some experience".

Sounds good to me.

I get the occasional cv/letter and I rarely read them to be honest. I don't need an apprentice right now. I do try and reply to let them know though.

I'd be more interested if someone approached me in the merchant, especially if they're there at 07:30 when I usually get there. I'd certainly do what I could to help.

I will do this even if it means walking there every day, even if I have to ask the same guy over and over, even if they personally do not need anyone, they may recommend me to someone else they know for showing determination.

Well, I can't fault your drive. Spread yourself around a few merchants, be polite and I'm sure you'll get a result soon.

I hope you get what you're after!

thanks very much for your support and to everyone else too, If I am successful I shall let you guys know :) all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can anyone help me with my cv, not getting anywhere with my current one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I recently finished my level 2 NVQ plumbing diploma at college and I'm looking for someone to help me out with the essential 'on the tools' experience. I work full time at the moment and am used to an above min wage salary, I understand I will have to...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate. I live in Lancashire and attended college in Leeds so don’t mind travelling anywhere in the north west. I’m looking to complete my NVQ portfolio the jobs I require On site observation with the college assessor: Health & Safety x2 Installation of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock