Search the forum,

Discuss Buying tools as an apprentice (tax refund?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm a first year apprentice wanting to buy my own tools so I can eventually start doing foreigners on weekends.

I know if you're self employed you can claim the tax back. So what I want to know is if i can claim tax back as a emoloyeed apprentice. Im on £3.40 an hour so dont pay tax at present.

Any advice welcome :)

Just get your boss to put them through his books and deduct from wages before you get taxed on it

You can't claim back what you haven't paid! No tax, no rebate. However, you can claim up to 3 years in arrears if I remember correctly, so keep the receipts till you start paying tax.

Just make sure your boss doesn't mind you doing private work...

Let me get this right, you want tax relief on tools you buy but dont want to pay tax on money you earn. Lol

Hello,

I'm a first year apprentice wanting to buy my own tools so I can eventually start doing foreigners on weekends.

Really think you need to learn to walk before you run doing foreigners young grasshopper. lol

Don't know how's he going to work unless it's a maid service, all first years get is a big brush and a ash pan and brush and instructions how to make the tea

It might seem like a a pis take but there is a serious side to this question.

Believe it or not, even if you are employed you can claim tax allowances for tools and work clothes. Ring up the HMRC and they will adjust your tax code. But you may need to get and keep receipts.

Personally i think it is shyte as every employer should provide their apprentice employee's with everything they need except hand tools and even then they should be paid a tool allowance to help buy them. Most decent employers would buy the lads hand tools as well but times have changed and most small employers are a now shower of shyte out to exploit rather than value their staff.
Thats maybe why the "apprentice" fks off to be a competitor as soon as their time is out.

Really think you need to learn to walk before you run doing foreigners young grasshopper. lol

I was actively encouraged and given jobs on the side by my tradesmen and my boss before i even turned 16 (i started in this trade 3 months before i was 16) as it learned me to deal with my fk ups in my own time. They even told me how much to charge.
I remember the 1st bathroom i did for a woman up the road from me. I hadn't a clue what i was doing and had to run (i couldn't drive) down to my tradesman every half hour to ask what to do next (mobiles weren't invented and only every 2nd house had a phone)
I did his head in that much on how to dress a lead pop up 3" in 6" he came up and done it for me then slapped me and told me i owed him a pint of heavy when i was old enough to buy one.

I was actively encouraged and given jobs on the side by my tradesmen and my boss before i even turned 16 (i started in this trade 3 months before i was 16) as it learned me to deal with my fk ups in my own time. They even told me how much to charge.
I remember the 1st bathroom i did for a woman up the road from me. I hadn't a clue what i was doing and had to run (i couldn't drive) down to my tradesman every half hour to ask what to do next (mobiles weren't invented and only every 2nd house had a phone)
I did his head in that much on how to dress a lead pop up 3" in 6" he came up and done it for me then slapped me and told me i owed him a pint of heavy when i was old enough to buy one.

Remember when two houses shared a party line and you had to check the other house wasn`t using the line before you dialled out.
How times have changed eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying tools as an apprentice (tax refund?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
The system is open vented with a Glowworm boiler. It has an LCD controller on the wall - see pic. I just want to remove one radiator for cleaning and decorating the room. I will put it back the same day. If I switch the hot water and central heating off on the LCD controller several hours...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock