Search the forum,

Discuss Burning smell from hot water in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

We recently replaced a shower cubicle in our upstairs bathroom with a jacuzzi bath and shower cubicle and took the bath water feed from the existing shower. We were in the middle of a rennovation so the bathroom hadnt been used for 6 months or so in between. We replaced the tiles with the shower wall pannelling over the plasterboard. We now have a weird scenario that whenever we run hot water either via the existing shower or the bath mixer tap there is a burning smell that we cannot find the origin of. Its doesnt appear to be electrical related as the water is heated off gas and we had no lights or extractor on. The smell almost appears as though its coming from the bath panel boards themselves - they were put on with the plumbing approved grip adhesive. Any pointers greatly appreciated as I cant find a simailr scenario elsewhere. Also to note, no smells from other hot taps/showers elsewhere in the house

Have you got a sample of the board? If so, stick it in an oven at 60° and see if it gives the off the same smell you are investigating.

Was the new pipework flushed properly as part of the installation? Collect a sample of the hot water in a clean jar with a lid and then take it to a room that's unaffected by the smell and get someone else to sniff the contents.

Have you got a sample of the board? If so, stick it in an oven at 60° and see if it gives the off the same smell you are investigating.

Was the new pipework flushed properly as part of the installation? Collect a sample of the hot water in a clean jar with a lid and then take it to a room that's unaffected by the smell and get someone else to sniff the contents.
Thankyou so much for your response. After further investigation it seems like the smell is coming from the bath jets as I can smell it in them when the bath is empty. Dont know whether it needs flushing out with cleaner and if its usual in a new whirlpool bath to get that smell initially?

Dont know whether it needs flushing out with cleaner and if its usual in a new whirlpool bath to get that smell initially?
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I come across often. [*]

Perhaps there was some commissioning step, such as an initial treatment with cleaner, that was skipped? It could be a faulty compressor, or mould or biofilm in the system.

Try calling the manufacturer's helpline.

* I'm only answering to try and help because the usual people who know about this sort of thing seem to be away from their keyboards at the moment. It seems quiet around here. Too quiet...

Reply to Burning smell from hot water in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock