Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Builders not wanting to zone house. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. gingalig

gingalig GSR

It's what my house is made of.

2. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Honeywell electronic TRV’s might be a good way around this.

3. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Honeywell electronic TRV’s might be a good way around this.

4. fixitflav

fixitflav Active Member

You can say that again! Hang on, you did

5. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

just read up on these. Is the use of these an acceptable alternative to zoning by running two circuits. As each room is programmable?

6. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

I was reading about them recently. I think they might be an acceptable alternative. You’re best off phoning Honeywell technical helpline. They’re really good and will be able to advise fully.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gingalig

gingalig GSR

Was there any definitive answer on the Honeywell system ?

8. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

Just zone one rad next to boiler.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Sorry I did speak to Honeywell a while back but don’t remember exactly what they said. I ended up doing 4 completely separate Heating zones and a hot water zone for a block of 4 flats

10. gingalig

gingalig GSR

L1a seems pretty clear that the pipe work has to be zoned, L1b seems a slightly grey area, as in when major refurb or replacement there's is a requirement to bring up to standard, I think I'm best to phone honeywell and see if the evo system is adequate or whether you could argue the toss In terms of compliance, no own seems to be definitive on it, and I'm sure there's a whole bunch of upgraded systems out there that are not strictly to regs as the cost could be prohibitive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

12. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Yes that’s a useful document Chris, I hadn’t read it in a while. It’s pretty clear that you do need to provide a complete separate carcass for each zone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Something else that is often missed is the requirement to insulate primary pipework between the boiler & zone valves / cylinder on new builds.

14. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

I think this is really important. I generally would use 19mm thick insulation on a 22 pipe for this application, but I realise it isn't really good enough - you can still feel the surface get warm. This seems to be the thickest that Plumbase, for example, stocks, and the manager admits most people don't even use Byelaw thicknesses of 25 and 19mm, even for cold water pipes in lofts!

• Like Like x 2
  15. CHRISX

CHRISX Active Member

Hello Matt0029,

As we know on a Dwelling which is larger than 150 square metres there is a Building Regulations requirement to have `at least 2 Space Heating Zones`.

The Building Regulations definition of a `Zone` has previously been a Heating circuit [ Radiators or other Heat emitters and pipework] which is controlled by a Zone valve and its own Time and Temperature controls.

However I feel that as mentioned above by other Members - compliance could also now be achieved by having Smart controls including some individual WiFi / Bluetooth [?] operated programmable Thermostatic Radiator valves - either on all of the Radiators [Very expensive].

Or just in every Bedroom - the idea being that the Bedrooms being independently `Time and Temperature controlled` from the rest of the Heating system would satisfy the `At least 2 Space Heating Zones` aspect of Building Regulation Part L.

I would advise speaking to the Technical department of a Manufacturer of one of the Smart Heating controls systems which include these WiFi / Bluetooth [?] programmable Thermostatic Radiator valves - they should be able to give a definitive answer as to whether what I described would satisfy the Zoning requirements of Building Regulation L for a property larger than 150 square metres.

I think that this wording from the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide does describe what I am suggesting:

Page 18 - Section 3.0: Quote:

iii - individual networked radiator controls in each room on the circuit.

End of Quote.

Having obtained an opinion from the Manufacturers Technical department - if possible in an Email - I would then speak to the Building Control Officer to try and get confirmation from Him / Her - ideally being able to show them an Email from the Smart controls Technical department.

Good Luck in resolving this awkward situation.

Regards,

Chris

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018