Search the forum,

Discuss Brittle cold mains pipe from 70's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rjm84

Hi, I've got to go to a job where builder has snapped the cold the cold mains, he described it as bieng plastic , and snapped at the slightest touch , I know what he's on about as I have done the same , I've only encountered it once , I believe was used in the 70's, but need to get a fitting but can't for the life of me think of it ,, octo keeps springing to mind????
im sure it's a glued fitting , anyone know what I'm talking about ?

It was used a lot in the 70s when Rhodesia caused a copper shortage. Yes it can be glued Think the proper way to glue it is with a glue called tangent. It can take upto 24 hours to cure and you also have to use a solvent cleaner before gluing. I have used solvent weld quickset before needed to get water back on rapid,s and it did work so your choice.

Do you remember what the name of it is? And I take it there's ni speed fit alternative

Lots of durapipe down this way. You can get a quick setting glue called Wet-R-Dry that works with it.

Compression to copper couplers available from Pts. Polyorc we call it. About 16mm in diameter?

durapipe abs is what they used around by me. Its still sold and available at most bss and pipecenters. Its about 16mm external but it will be an imperial size.
Polyyork was used around the country aswell, yorkshire make a compression fitting for this i think.

if you go into the local pipe center of the property they will probably have the fittings required and some glue thats takes a couple of hours to set. (not normal solvent weld) take some of the pipe with you if possible.

i think your from around my way. Pipecenter halesowen def sell durapipe and will know what your after if you have no luck else where.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brittle cold mains pipe from 70's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock