Search the forum,

Discuss british gas work good or bad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vauxhall04

on the 11 of last month we had new boiler fitted by british gas all worked well for a month,the fitter put the condensation pipe into the wc waste pipe
and filled it with filler we didnot no this till we emptyed the bath one night and had water leaking down the wall from the joint call british gas back out to do repair it took them 7days to come out to do repair ,they put more filler on the joint and its still leaking,had a new fitter out and he has put a advice notice on the boiler saying the flue is not angled back correctly,but my pipe is still leaking ,any one no what i can do about this british gas dontwant to no,

Last edited by a moderator:
on the 11 of last month we had new boiler fitted by british gas all worked well for a month,the fitter put the condensation pipe into the wc waste pipe
and filled it with filler we didnot no this till we emptyed the bath one night and had water leaking down the wall from the joint call british gas back out to do repair it took them 7days to come out to do repair ,they put more filler on the joint and its still leaking,had a new fitter out and he has put a advice notice on the boiler saying the flue is not angled back correctly,but my pipe is still leaking ,any one no what i can do about this british gas dontwant to no,

This is not acceptable, all work is guaranteed, demand a senior engineer or manager calls to inspect the work and correct any defects. British gas are now regulated by the FSA and any complaints can cost the company thousands so a manager will do everything in he's power to stop a complaint.

Get a proper plumber in and send the bill to BG

I wouldn't use Bg to open a can of beans! Better check the boiler is safe to use if I were you...

Get a proper plumber in and send the bill to BG

I wouldn't use Bg to open a can of beans! Better check the boiler is safe to use if I were you...

Any need for that sort of comment?

Everybody is entitled to an opinion based on their own dealings with aforesaid company. Wether you like it or not.

Well OP, it doesn't seem BG are interested in "Helping YOUR World" now that they've had YOUR money.

Maybe call a local gas engineer. Ask friends and family for a good reccomendation. A small local business might value your custom more highly that a national corporation.

Sorry, that was out of order, but really. You won't find many people on here defending them. You seem the lone voice of support!

For what it's worth, I personally know they employ some trully brilliant engineers. But its a game of numbers and they also employ a lot of bad engineers.

Don't like BG as I have know a few lads work for them and leave as they r told to do the hard sell To evey1 pushing to sell things that aint needed ! Not heard a great problem with there work mind

A high percentage of installation work is carried out by contractors, was this the case here or was there a British Gas van on the job? As I said earlier, demand this is put right, British Gas aren't always perfect but I can assure you they will always put the job right. Can you look on the paperwork for a work request number and pm me, I will make sure you are looked after.

It's my personal and professional opinion that BG do more bad work than good and charge triple to do it.

The advice I give to the op is to get an independent gas engineer.

To be honest and I'm not tarring all bg engineers with the same brush as its the same with all 'big' companies. You can phone them 10 times and get 10 different answers. Sky where the same over a couple of months I needed an issue fixing, spoke to different people who promised to fix within a couple of days and nothing was done. Finally phoned and spoke to a young lass who'd only been there a week and fixed it while I was on the phone.

If you really have tried with BG and I think that for a BG engineer to come out and put a sticker on a boiler re a fault rather than getting his hands dirty and fixing it is out of order. Then get yourself a local engineer through recommendation write to BG outlining what you are doing and take it from there.

Hope you get it sorted.

A high percentage of installation work is carried out by contractors, was this the case here or was there a British Gas van on the job? As I said earlier, demand this is put right, British Gas aren't always perfect but I can assure you they will always put the job right. Can you look on the paperwork for a work request number and pm me, I will make sure you are looked after.

Nice one Doodlebug.

Fair play Doodlebug. That's a big gesture there!

We all have our opinions about one thing or another but I do actually admire your loyalty to defend BG no matter what!

Sorry, that was out of order, but really. You won't find many people on here defending them. You seem the lone voice of support!

For what it's worth, I personally know they employ some trully brilliant engineers. But its a game of numbers and they also employ a lot of bad engineers.

For what it's worth I see a lot of very dangerous installations out there from the little firms, I don't come on here shouting and balling that all the little firms are rubbish as I know there are a lot of great engineers out there. I went behind a local firm the other day, they had extended the flue on a customers Worcester Bosh boiler because an extension what put on side of house, they had used incorrect flue joints and totally left the boiler in an ID situation, when the customer complained to the that the boiler now doesn't work, they weren't interested, and just said "can't be anything we've done" they didn't even offer to go and look at what was wrong with the boiler. I found that the boiler would only work with the combustion case removed due to incomplete combustion with the bridged flue.
This is just one example of some of the jobs I come across, so as I said earlier and on a few other threads on this site, British Gas aren't perfect and you will always find a bad job with any company, its human nature, especially with a company that employs as many engineers as British Gas.

A high percentage of installation work is carried out by contractors, was this the case here or was there a British Gas van on the job?

So it was a contractors fault? :lol:
Maybe they should spend a bit time training basic plumbing techniques to their fitters.

I haven't heard to much about bad work but a lot about pushing for the hard sell has any1 els??

So it was a contractors fault? :lol:
Maybe they should spend a bit time training basic plumbing techniques to their fitters.

No mate, never said that, just wondered out of curiosity, British Gas employ a lot of contractors on the installation side of the business, some very very good and some terrible, I know I see it all the time.

For what it's worth I see a lot of very dangerous installations out there from the little firms, I don't come on here shouting and balling that all the little firms are rubbish as I know there are a lot of great engineers out there. I went behind a local firm the other day, they had extended the flue on a customers Worcester Bosh boiler because an extension what put on side of house, they had used incorrect flue joints and totally left the boiler in an ID situation, when the customer complained to the that the boiler now doesn't work, they weren't interested, and just said "can't be anything we've done" they didn't even offer to go and look at what was wrong with the boiler. I found that the boiler would only work with the combustion case removed due to incomplete combustion with the bridged flue.
This is just one example of some of the jobs I come across, so as I said earlier and on a few other threads on this site, British Gas aren't perfect and you will always find a bad job with any company, its human nature, especially with a company that employs as many engineers as British Gas.

That's fair enough, and completely true. However BG win so much of their work by advertising themselves as the A team. With their wizzy adverts of people abseiling into the customers kitchen and shooting around in jet powered vans. They basically give people the impression that if you employ BG in your home, you will have a top trained engineer in your home. Little do they know they could have a subby who would do the very same work for half the price. Or someone who's still wet behind the ears but has a shiny van and a smart uniform.

I don't like the way they're out to squeeze out the small companies and the one man bands. AA have also jumped on the bandwagon....and people trust them because they know the "brand".

British gas get a fair amount of flack i myself have a few horror stories but the key here is about balance. Although from my experience i could slate bg til the cows come home i recognise that this is a game of numbers and there are many satisfied customers. And i for one applaud doodlebug for his efforts even if he is a lone voice. Fair play for helping this guy out!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Kind of agree. Bantering about BG as fun as it is, won't get us anywhere. I think we should just ban Doodle and get on with out lives....:) :)

I'm totally messing of course.

We are all in the same industry. We all come on here to share ideas and opinions. Doodle knows my feelings on BG now. I won't bother getting into it any further, and I'm sure he's a good guy with lots to add to the forum besides BG fawning!

That's fair enough, and completely true. However BG win so much of their work by advertising themselves as the A team. With their wizzy adverts of people abseiling into the customers kitchen and shooting around in jet powered vans. They basically give people the impression that if you employ BG in your home, you will have a top trained engineer in your home. Little do they know they could have a subby who would do the very same work for half the price. Or someone who's still wet behind the ears but has a shiny van and a smart uniform.

I don't like the way they're out to squeeze out the small companies and the one man bands. AA have also jumped on the bandwagon....and people trust them because they know the "brand".

You've totally lost me with the "squeezing out the small companies" bit, British Gas are more expansive than you, they don't undercut you, do they? If customers choose to use British Gas rather than you, then who's fault is that? Of course British Gas are going to claim to be the best, why wouldn't they? If you went to price a job that Tamz had been to earlier and priced, wouldn't you want the job? Aren't all the other firms out there pricing jobs before or after you a competitor? If a customer asked you if you were good at what you do, would you say "yes but sometimes I cock it up" or would you say "yes I can assure you I will do a very good job".

Can I suggest you start a fresh topic in the arms off the open forum

That's second time you've asked , is it like saying bettle juice three times it comes true ?

It's just nice to see people with passion about their work. Hopefully Doodlebug will be able to get the op sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to british gas work good or bad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock