Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
An elderly relative contacted me today concerning some work she had carried out by BG, she's been under their care for years without complaint as it gives her piece of mind. Anyhow her combi packed up recently and BG diagnosed that she needed a Powerflush and MagnaClean. Apparently the powerflush has been carried out and the system is working but BG couldn't install the Magnaclean because apparently there was "no room". The nephew sent me some picks and I said I'd ask those who'll definitely know, clearly there's no magnaclean but there is plenty of physical room and my feeling is (perhaps unfairly) the BG engineer was on his own and couldn't be arsed reworking the pipework.

Am I being unreasonable expecting the work to be done irrespective of how difficult it maybe and should I complain on her behalf and call them back to get the work completed rather than just a refund for the work that wasn't? Thanks for any advice.

DSCF0526.jpg DSCF0525.jpg

Boiler packed up & diagnosed it needed a powerflush!!! Lol

Same old British Gas scam, a Magnaclean can be fitted if you wish just needs some pipework alterations... Poor British Gas man can't Bodge it in for a change!

No idea, I'm afraid we think she's been taken for a ride.

Thanks fellas you confirmed my suspicion, I realise we don't discuss prices but how long would it take for a job like this?

Two/three men were expected and only one turned up, can one man do a powerflush and install the Magnacleanse here in one day?

Give me something I can throw at them when I call.

Last edited:
No idea, I'm afraid we think she's been taken for a ride.

Thanks fellas you confirmed my suspicion, I realise we don't discuss prices but how long would it take for a job like this?

Two/three men were expected and only one turned up, can one man do a powerflush and install the Magnacleanse here in one day?

Give me something I can throw at them when I call.

That would be quite a relaxed days work for me!

I used to do contract work for bg install boiler. The time allocated for a power flush was 2hr 40min. A complete boiler swap including power flush, minor building works, in under 11hrs.
So how clean will the system be ?

I used to do contract work for bg install boiler. The time allocated for a power flush was 2hr 40min. A complete boiler swap including power flush, minor building works, in under 11hrs.
So how clean will the system be ?

Less than 3 hours allocated for a bg 700 pound powerflush says it all... I bet they don't even inhibit on completion

when I complain not enough time for power flush, I was told to do what everyone does. Just connect the power flush and do other things while it runs.

That is disgusting when they charge as much as they do. Proper highwaymen

when I complain not enough time for power flush, I was told to do what everyone does. Just connect the power flush and do other things while it runs.

On a tank fed system it can take an hour at least to rig up the machine & hoses etc... Bet you didn't clean the header tank either then lol!

Point taken.

How long for just MagnaClean install with pipe alteration would you say, 1hour?

Last edited:
They sell whatever they can. There is a job with condensate through wall, straight down to drain about 1.5m pipe run. They sold the poor fella the Condensulate Condensing Boiler Pipe Insulation Kit. The irony is you have to run the kit inside a 40mm pipe.

Given the drain pipe work and double power point, it looks as if a washing machine or dishwasher normally occupies the space under the boiler. If this is the case, installing a Magnaclean so that the machine still fits might not be quite so easy as it looks. Also, access would be needed for a periodic clean, which might well mean moving the machine on a regular basis.

In fairness to BG, what look to be the flows and returns to the boiler won't be easy for fitting a magnaclean to. Even if you could, you'd need to modify the pipework in order to fit the magnaclean low enough to still allow access to the bottom of the boiler and then it could look messy. The obvious question is what is on the other side of the wall to the right of the boiler, and could the other side of the wall be a suitable location for the filter?

That said, anything is do-able. A plumber can modify pipe runs to suit - but sometimes it is a lot of work and that entails extra time and cost, and I have heard that with BG, an installer doesn't have much time to do anything in. Likewise, in my own house, the filter is fitted in a far-from-ideal place because I only had a spare morning in which to fit it, a houseful of people, and no inclination to start taking up laminate floors.

If you're getting an independent in, ask for a Fernox TF1 rather than a Magnaclean.

Last edited:
messy dont matter, its in a cupboard!

i would like to ask them if there 'looking after' the boiler, why they have not addressed the flue fire issue first!

i bet the pressure had gone on the boiler an the engineer decided to sell a powerflush for ÂŁ700 rather than charge ÂŁ40 to top boiler back up!!!!

Given the drain pipe work and double power point, it looks as if a washing machine or dishwasher normally occupies the space under the boiler. If this is the case, installing a Magnaclean so that the machine still fits might not be quite so easy as it looks. Also, access would be needed for a periodic clean, which might well mean moving the machine on a regular basis.

What moving the machine once a year OMG.....

Theirs plenty of room there just needs some pipe work altering BG engineer was just being lazy or didn't have the time/materials,

I'f I was giving an estimate to fit a Tf1 it'd be 2-3 hours as drain down and refill could be a nightmare

KingDoey and plumben

The OP stated "I was recently contacted by an elderly relative...". If that is the person having to move the machine it could be beyond them. I would hope it would be moved by whoever does the service, but some people are difficult.

The point I was making was that fitting a Magnaclean (or similar) in a way which could enable it to be cleaned out might (please note MIGHT, not WOULD) make it difficult to push the machine back sufficiently. I, and I assume nobody on here other than the OP, has seen the site nor had the measurements.

Why plumben feels it appropriate to make personal comments is beyond me. He clearly doesn't know me, and is quite wrong in his assumptions.

If it was a powerflush not at the time of install Bg allow 1 man 8hrs to include fitting a magnabooster if sold. Most will not fit it on a combi if they cant get it on the return. As you wil know with a magnabooster it has to hang down so there may not have been enough room if there is something else in front of the boiler, without being there we dont know.
If it was a open system the header tank should get cleaned out as well in that time.

KingDoey and plumben

The OP stated "I was recently contacted by an elderly relative...". If that is the person having to move the machine it could be beyond them. I would hope it would be moved by whoever does the service, but some people are difficult.

The point I was making was that fitting a Magnaclean (or similar) in a way which could enable it to be cleaned out might (please note MIGHT, not WOULD) make it difficult to push the machine back sufficiently. I, and I assume nobody on here other than the OP, has seen the site nor had the measurements.

Why plumben feels it appropriate to make personal comments is beyond me. He clearly doesn't know me, and is quite wrong in his assumptions.

No offence was ment, it was only a bit of banter,
but by the same token if the "elderly relative" was the one cleaning the filter I'm sure they'd struggle to get the top off the filter to clean it as well, but back to the O'P it's clearly stated that the relative has the home care plan so surely the BG engineer would have to clean the filter at the yearly service..

messy dont matter, its in a cupboard!

i would like to ask them if there 'looking after' the boiler, why they have not addressed the flue fire issue first!

i bet the pressure had gone on the boiler an the engineer decided to sell a powerflush for ÂŁ700 rather than charge ÂŁ40 to top boiler back up!!!!

Probable, I haven't been there yet to look at the work sheets. Are you referring to the build of materials around the flue? Ideally (assuming they're combustible) what distance should they really be from the flue?

Just to clarify nothing else is stored in that cupboard and the homeowner is 86 under BGHomecare, not sure what to advise my nephew.

Insist it's done by BG or refund for the work not carried out. If the MagnaClean were done I expect the ÂŁ850 would be a bit easier to swallow, if they insist on a refund I expect they'll just deduct the cost of the MagnaClean. What do you think?

and get a refund for the work not carried out because I don't see

Sorry I am confused are BG charging ÂŁ850 to fit a magnaclean?

that gap around the flue to ceiling void should be sealed, first thing any engineer would pick up for rectifying!!

powerflushing a boiler dosnt make it work again!

Thanks for everybody's interest but just to recap, BG have charged my elderly aunt for a powerflush and the fitting of a magnaclean (total = ÂŁ850) the later hasn't been done because of the reason given (no room) from the notes left by the attending BG engineer. I have no idea what was wrong with the boiler initially to warrant a powerflush, could have been legit probably not given their history but I can't prove anything underhand and the system is now working. What she doesn't have is the magnaclean that has been paid for, do I recommend they chase BG to do the work or a partial refund?

Get a refund. Use a local plumber to fit one. Piece of mind is important to an elderly lady. Don't tell her she could have been power flushed for half the price, just keep eye on BG in future.

yes chase and pester the living day lights out of them

Thanks for everybody's interest but just to recap, BG have charged my elderly aunt for a powerflush and the fitting of a magnaclean (total = ÂŁ850) the later hasn't been done because of the reason given (no room) from the notes left by the attending BG engineer. I have no idea what was wrong with the boiler initially to warrant a powerflush, could have been legit probably not given their history but I can't prove anything underhand and the system is now working. What she doesn't have is the magnaclean that has been paid for, do I recommend they chase BG to do the work or a partial refund?

Phone bg and ask for a price for fitting a magnaclean. Then write and say you want 850 minus price given as a refund.

Thanks guys, you've covered all the bases.

If it were my money I'd harass the XXXXXXXX til they were sick but it isn't and joni's view hit home as the most sympathetic and least stressful to my aunt even if that will also unfortunately apply to BG.

What I will do (if she wants) is post here looking for an engineer to do the work.

Fifty quid for two hours work right? ;) ATB.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you've covered all the bases.

What I will do (if she wants) is post here looking for an engineer to do the work.

Fifty quid for two hours work right? ;) ATB.

Yes if you want a cowboy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock