Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas pushing to replace boiler for sales commission? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son had a full coverage BG service contract. After a routine service visit some monthe back they mumbled something about sludge, then soon after, without prior warning, downgraded his cover to exclude rads. and pipework, and without telling him they had done so. Now months later the hot water failed, and a downstairs rad. pipe leaked. "Engineer" 1 came and went, said all fixed. No it wasn't. Engineer 2 later same day did fix it all OK but then advised re the contract cover downgrade. There had been some mention at the routine service visit of a powerflush needed, but warned that as the boiler was 15 years old, the powerflush "would knacker the boiler, so you might as well replace it anyway".
Is this pushy salesmanship? In other words is there risk to the boiler if powerflush is performed, for the sake of re-establishing the pipes/rads. service cover?

Well BG only made half a billion profits in 2015, cut them some slack and throw them £8k for a new boiler, they need it - those yachts don't pay for themselves.
I'd advise a second opinion from an independant gas engineer who isn't being pressured by his 19 year old 'manager' to increase sales ;)

Dump the BG service contact and engage local heating engineer. Even if new boiler required and cost spread over extended period other companies like AA are worth a competitive quote. If independent heating engineers pushed power flush and boiler replacement like BG. questions would be asked. System can be power flushed, if necessary, with boiler isolated and protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas pushing to replace boiler for sales commission? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Just had a new worcester bosch. 1000 combi boiler to replace 18yr old vokera. No problems with new boiler. Enquiring about yearly maintenance / safety check and service i £19.00. per month, £228 one off yearly payment. It includes parts and labour if needed. As new boiler is under warranty...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
10 months ago had a new Glow-Worm gas boiler installed in our bungalow. It failed nearly a month ago when a gasket internally in the HW feed cct to internal pump that appears to have been installed out of position leaked water over the pump and main electronics board and through the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock