Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

Bit of a long story so please bear with me.

A new customer of mine called me a few months back wanting me to take a look at his shower in his en-suite. Basically the plumber who had installed the shower was an idiot as he'd connected a thermostatic mixer shower to tank fed hot and mains fed cold. To make matters worse, the tank was around 1 metre above the shower, resulting in the shower not working at all basically.

Around 2 months earlier, the customer told me that British Gas had fitted a nice new condensing boiler in his property. He had called them for advice re the shower and they had suggested a whole house pump to fix the issue. This is the point when he called me.

On looking around his central heating install (being nosy I guess) I could see a lot of radiators without TRVs. I did a flow rate test on the kitchen tap and got 12L/m. I then checked the cold isolation valve underneath and noticed it was only half open. Opened it fully and got 20L/m from the kitchen tap (cold only). Next I opened the garden tap and ran both on full and still obtained 20L/m at the kitchen tap. I figured incoming mains flow rate was at least 30L/m as a result. Mains pressure was around 4.5 bars.

I told him that I could fit him a whole-house pump but it would be better to just fit the right boiler for his situation in the first place, i.e. a powerful combi-boiler.

British Gas had apparently told him he couldn't have a combi-boiler (his preferred choice) as they had measured the flow rate at 5L/m and 8L/m entering his property. Bear in mind that these flow rates are below the minimum acceptable allowed by the water supplier.

I think that they did an incorrect flow rate test and also didn't notice that the isolation valve on the kitchen tap was only half open. I finally installed a Broag 39KW combi-boiler for him and fitted TRVs to the rest of the radiators. His gas bill has (unsurprisingly) dropped dramatically without having a hot water cylinder. He is in dispute with BG to try and get his money back and I want to help him as much as I can (they were great customers to be honest).

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on this? I've never experienced flow rates below 10L/m in any property and I think he was totally mis-advised by a fairly incompetent engineer. It also worries me that they broke the law by not fitting TRVs as part of the install.

Last edited:
why on a boiler change is it a must that they fitted trv's rather then just recommended good practice?

i have come across a few house's with low water pressure/flow rates and fitted open vented systems. It did supprise me how many quotes these customers had been given to have a combi fitted:(

sounds like the engineer made some mistakes when testing the pressure/flow, i think your customer should request BG to attend and retest and compare to the original findings and request the results in writing.

The trvs on boiler install is NOT A REQUIREMAENT, Have been told this by gsr and building control is is entirely upto cust if they want trv's .
I wouldnt moan to much if Bg made an initial mistake on flow rates as to be honest we all make or miss the odd thing here and there on pricing jobs.
Also in my opinion combi's are nothing more than problematic nuisance .

I'm no legal eagle but the Sales of Goods Act (1948, 1972, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007(1), 2007 (2), 2008, 2009, 2010 (Jan), 2010 (Feb), etc, etc ... I digress ...)

says something to the effect that goods must be sold in accordance with their perceived conditions and must be fit for purpose. Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help out.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_DOMHEAT.pdf

I
think this document makes the legal position very clear. Page 10 states that a 'replacment system' is defined as 'the specification of a replacement central heating system and/or component in existing dwellings were central heating is installed - this situation is referred to in this section as a replacement system'. To me that is very clear that a boiler replacement falls under a replacement component in an existing dwelling were central heating is installed and is thus classed as a replacement system.

Page 15 is equally as clear: -

Temperature control of space heating - replacement system requirements are identical to new systems. I.E there is a legal requirement for TRVs to be installed on all radiators except in room with room thermostat.

GSR have also told me that this is not a legal requirement but I believe they are talking out of there rear on this, as the official documentation clearly shows.

Re combis, We only fit decent ones with Magnacleans in accordance with manufacturer's instructions. If the house only has 2 occupants and they only really want a shower then there's no sense in storing a large hot water cylinder which (to be blunt) is wasting energy surely?
If anyone interprets that any differently then please shout up but those are the legal requirements straight from the Planning Portal website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered central heating installer about 15 years ago, so I felt comfortable running the flow/return to rads). I am in need of a combi boiler install with a...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock