Search the forum,

Discuss Bristan - warranty for ceramic cartridges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

W

Welder

Bristan are currently refusing to replace ceramic cartrdiges that leak if a homeowner cannot demonstrate that the cartridge has not been 'serviced' twice a year.

This is the excert from the Bristan website
The guarantee does not cover damage or defects caused by:
• System debris, including the build up of limescale (which can be controlled through regular servicing and maintenance)

Has anyone any idea what this means? Any idea what 'servicing' entails?
Dont get me wrong, this is brilliant news for us (TapMedic as well as all plumbers), but I want to get as much info as I can before I let loose the dogs of war... :D

I don't see how it's brilliant news for us. Selling them a tap with a 5 year guarantee and telling them that if you're unlucky you will need to pay me to change something on it within that time but the parts will be free is a pretty naff sounding promise as it is but about the best available. This would remove this assurance and just take Bristan off the table for anyone who wants a decent guarantee rather than a bin-it-in-tw0-or-three-years Shed Jobby.

Unless you mean it's good news because now customers will have to pay us to visit to service their taps every 6 months. Mine won't.

Thats what I meant.
Of course people wont have it done cos its simply ridiculous. Plus it would mean we effectively have to warrant the cartridges 'just in case'. It is without doubt the single most stupid thing Ive ever heard of. :rolleyes:

Thats what I meant.
Of course people wont have it done cos its simply ridiculous. Plus it would mean we effectively have to warrant the cartridges 'just in case'. It is without doubt the single most stupid thing Ive ever heard of. :rolleyes:
Would that mean taking them out and descaling them in solution for 30 mins 2 x a year?

Well, if people want 1/4-turn mechanisms then they've brought it upon themselves really. Call me a Luddite, but all I see is technology getting faster and faster (at going wrong) because most people want flash and cheap.
In-line strainers before every 1/4-turn mechanism might be a good idea too, but will people pay for them?

Ric you need to get with it old bean :)

The technical innovation of ceramic disc cartridges is both beautifully simply & effective. Sorry to sully the post with facts, but without them millions of older people would not have the levels of independence they enjoy.

Alfred Moen's concept was to make life easier and it does. What he could never have taken into account was the drive to reduce costs & therefore quality of said items - that is greed based. We offer 3 years with no quibble but expect more. That tells you it can be done so it's not the fault of the concept simply its execution.

The flatness of the discs is not microns but even lower. It's measured using pbotons of light. No strainer, except a membrane, could protect them.
D :cool:

So why do they leak then? Genuine question. Seems like they should be invincible.

Our water is the primary answer. Water borne debris & high concentrations of minerals act like an abrasive or bigger particles simply gouge grooves. Calcification too. This forces the plates apart. Descaling tho isn't successful long term.

In fairness, I fitted cheap 1/4 turn disc mechanisms to my existing sink tap around about 2014 because the house was rented and the tenants were turning the tap off so hard they were cutting through the washers. One was replaced to check for a non-existant fault a couple of years later, but the other is 4 years old. I service them annually. They still work. To be sure of the age I'd have to check paperwork - they might be older still.

I accept that for some people, they are a necessity. My gripe was about people who want cheap taps to which my reply was formerly, if you want cheap, buy washered taps. Now I don't bother as I'll probably repair them with your magic kit when they fail. That said, I do know a plumber who fitted a 1/4 or 1/2 turn washered mechanism to an old man's washbasin and it seems to be working well.

That said, I do know a plumber who fitted a 1/4 or 1/2 turn washered mechanism to an old man's washbasin and it seems to be working well.

I've done similar. That's a good trick when HP cartridiges have been fitted to Fortec/combination cylinders and unacceptable flow occurs.

Reply to Bristan - warranty for ceramic cartridges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

W
    • Informative
Talking of being bent over... I finally spent some time on the phone to Bristan. As you know the changed their general warranty to 5 years. Part of that was a change in Ts&Cs that any cartridges that fail had to have been 'serviced' a minimum of annually and if in a hard water area semi...
Replies
Views
Welder
W
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock