Search the forum,

Discuss Bristan thermo shower valve leaking again. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jim Goodenough

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi there,
Looking for advice for friend who had leak from seal between valve body and cartridge. She had the cartridge replaced which included new seals, this fixed the leak for a few months, however it's started leaking again. Pics below.
Is it just the body is worn or does anyone know a fix please?
Cheers Jim
20190221_210151.jpg
20190221_210145.jpg
20190221_205528.jpg

Hello,

How long ago was it replaced? Any dirt/debris inside? Is the rubber seal in tact?

What shower is it and what system is it on? I've had valves in the past that aren't rated for mains pressure.

Can't seem to find bristan thermo, is that the model of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim

Looking at the evidence of leakage around the inner spindle, I'd say it was simply faulty. To me, it's evident that whoever installed the new cart took some care as there is still silicone grease around the body o-rings.

If nothing, system wise, has changed then personally I'd just back it to the supplier. These things happen.

Hello,

How long ago was it replaced? Any dirt/debris inside? Is the rubber seal in tact?
7 months ago, rubber seal is fine.

What shower is it and what system is it on? I've had valves in the past that aren't rated for mains pressure.
I reckon this is the answer, it's probably only suited to gravity, system is mains pressure albeit low.

Don't know exact model.

Jim

Looking at the evidence of leakage around the inner spindle, I'd say it was simply faulty. To me, it's evident that whoever installed the new cart took some care as there is still silicone grease around the body o-rings.

If nothing, system wise, has changed then personally I'd just back it to the supplier. These things happen.
Inner spindle is fine, extra silicone grease on front seal is what I tried to fix it with, seals all in good order.

Cheers all for your replies.

It's a Bristan Java. I have installation instructions now, Min 0.1 bar Max 5.0 bar. Pressure isn't the issue, must be worn front seal.

Could it not be leaking through spindle?
Thanks, but it's definitely not leaking from the spindle.

You need either a Cart 5 part number 06732compl or a set of seals part number SK00400185.
Make sure plenty of silicone grease is applied to the seals and make sure they are installed the correct way around.
Seals normally leak at lower pressures, usually fine at higher pressures.
Hope that helps.
Thanks Shower Engineer, I reckon your last sentence is the answer.
Can you quantify at what pressure it won't leak approximately - not holding you to anything :confused::confused::oops:o_O:D

All the seals have a V groove in them. This is important for the outer seal as water pressure pushes against the groove and forces the groove against the brass body.
At lower pressures the seal isn't forced out as much.
The seals need to be well lubricated with silicone grease as that stops them drying out and becoming less flexible as they then don't seal as well.
What you often find is that a valve isn't leaking but starts to leak when another tap is operated as this reduces the pressure on the outer seal.
The valve will seal at lower pressures but the outer seal must be in good condition.
Hope this helps.

All the seals have a V groove in them. This is important for the outer seal as water pressure pushes against the groove and forces the groove against the brass body.
At lower pressures the seal isn't forced out as much.
The seals need to be well lubricated with silicone grease as that stops them drying out and becoming less flexible as they then don't seal as well.
What you often find is that a valve isn't leaking but starts to leak when another tap is operated as this reduces the pressure on the outer seal.
The valve will seal at lower pressures but the outer seal must be in good condition.
Hope this helps.
Yes very grateful for your help :D

Reply to Bristan thermo shower valve leaking again. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock