Search the forum,

Discuss Bristan now require ceramic cartridges to be 'serviced' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

W

Welder

Talking of being bent over...

I finally spent some time on the phone to Bristan. As you know the changed their general warranty to 5 years. Part of that was a change in Ts&Cs that any cartridges that fail had to have been 'serviced' a minimum of annually and if in a hard water area semi annually.

So, I took the time to get on and pose as a punter. I now have the evidence that to service a cartridge they expect each cartridge to be, isolated, removed from the tap body, soaked in a 50:50 solution of white vinegar and water for FOUR hours, it 'checked' for debris (therefore further disassembly), reassembled, regreased with silicone grease, reinstalled and de-isolated. So, that is basically 5 hours work plus some materials.

At £35 per hour, a low average I'd suggest, thats £180 per year so £900 in the 5th year for a normal water area. If it's a hard water area that's £1800.
Of course none of this takes into account cost of living rises.

So, the mighty Bristan want their customers to spend up to £1800 instead of sending them a cartridge that costs them as little as £0.15

What do you think? Who will now recommend Bristan?
Oh we won't even talk about the potential contamination of the water supply or hazard to health of occupants from using the wrong grease...

Dave

Remember you talking about this before in a thread. Well done getting the facts, bit of a game changer isn`t it.

What about tap med do they require servicing for warranty? How long is the warranty?

What about tap med do they require servicing for warranty? How long is the warranty?

NO NO no NO NO no & NNNOOO
They do however require registration to qualify - obvs really.
3 years NO QUIBBLE
IF however you wanted to service them, we'd suggest simply replacing the discs and centre shaft O-rings. They will be available as spares eventually.

NO NO no NO NO no & NNNOOO
They do however require registration to qualify - obvs really.
3 years NO QUIBBLE
IF however you wanted to service them, we'd suggest simply replacing the discs and centre shaft O-rings. They will be available as spares eventually.

Registering??

Registering??
You are so familiar with the web site I can tell...
On your dashboard there is a section (called registration) where you can register the cartridges you install.
All it asks for is: postcode, house number/name, size of cart & spindle used.
Not exactly difficult.
TBH, no one has yet registered any out of 6000 sold!

You are so familiar with the web site I can tell...
On your dashboard there is a section (called registration) where you can register the cartridges you install.
All it asks for is: postcode, house number/name, size of cart & spindle used.
Not exactly difficult.
TBH, no one has yet registered any out of 6000 sold!

:D didn't even know that was there

Tells you how many others know about it

:D

Forget the 5 years guarantee , the parts are 5 years , but the labour (obviously when they turn out) is only 1 year . They will post some new cartridges in years 2 to 5 .
A customer of mine fell into the 5 year guarantee before Christmas , cartridge leaked after 13/14 months , guess who fitted them for free .

Forget the 5 years guarantee , the parts are 5 years , but the labour (obviously when they turn out) is only 1 year . They will post some new cartridges in years 2 to 5 .
A customer of mine fell into the 5 year guarantee before Christmas , cartridge leaked after 13/14 months , guess who fitted them for free .

You were lucky then! Tinterweb is full of Mr & Mrs Disgruntled of Bigg Gaff, Linton moaning about how their taps leak and they won't send anything. Bl00dy love it ;) manner from Heaven for TapMedic.

Reply to Bristan now require ceramic cartridges to be 'serviced' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock