Search the forum,

Discuss Bright Green/Blue Residue In Fridge Water Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I have a plumbing mystery and I'd really appreciate some theories as to what's going on!

I've installed a new fridge and on removing the water supply for it noticed a lot of green/blue deposits coming through from the pipe that fed it.

residue 1.jpg

This has come out of the cold water copper pipe that feeds the fridge's water dispenser.

Previously when I've been changing the old fridge's water filter I'd noticed bright green/blue deposits in it, so I suspect this problem has been brewing for a long time.

I turned the water back on and it flushed out a lot more of it, and it was dissolved in the water too:
residue 2.jpg

I had to change the isolation valve at the bottom of the pipe. It had some residue and signs of corrosion where the valve met the pipe.
isovalve.jpg

Here you can see the inside of the valve and the small section of pipe I cut. Some of the deposits is almost like small chunks.
isovalve inside.jpg
pipe inside.jpg
residue on finger.jpg

The pipe itself is painted but where it is exposed it looks fine - no sign of corrosion on the outside. The paint is smooth on it too, no sign of bubbling etc.

I have not noticed any reside in any of the other cold water taps or toilet cisterns around the house. With the amount in this pipe I would have thought it would be obvious if it was in others, like seeing residue in the sink or toilet cistern etc.

We didn't use the water dispenser on the old fridge much at all, but it did have an ice cube maker in constant use so it would have been having some water flow.

Any ideas?

This is the product of copper corrosion and is sometimes seen with low-use pipes, as you say the water dispenser wasn't often used. If the pipe is routed past any warm areas at the rear of the fridge it also increases the corrosion rate. The proper solution is to replace the corroded pipework & make sure you use the dispenser more in the future, or even not connect it up at all. If left as it is the fridge water may well have a metallic taste and although unlikely to cause any lasting harm to adults, it's definitely not good idea for children to drink it.

Reply to Bright Green/Blue Residue In Fridge Water Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone ;0 Iv just discovered this forum, looking through internet to find a solution to my small problem. So I just reopened, builders opening in my 1930 ex-council house. And surprisingly, did find some pipes inside. Two look like water - those have been cut, and those are like side...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock