Search the forum,

Discuss Brass fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

850Rick

If i was to rip out a bath,and disconect the taps and decided i need to go out to get some thing would i fit a brass end stop on the end with an olive etc to make it safe.This is what they dont tell you at college

Make it safe. You just never know. We did an installation in November, I didn't get there till lunchtime. We had to cap a rad off the existing system and the other lad had drained it, shut the lockshield and trv and gone out to the van for something. Come back in to the sound of running water and the old bloke making a fast exit. He'd come in and opened the trv.

yes you could do that. if on the other hand you were replacing the bath with another one for instance you could fit isolators to the pipes which would facilitate working on the taps in the future.

many people wouldnt but it definately wouldnt hurt to cover your backside. and could save you a huge damage complaint. besides you never know what happens when your out customer may decide to fill the kettle and next thing you know the main has back filled the hot and theres water everywhere. i keep push fits in the tool box close by incase of emergencys or like you say needing to pop out somewhere mid job

on another note well done you for thinking about it before it happend.

Class such things as cut and cap no matter how short a time span your insurance co will thank you regards turnpin:rockon2:

yes you could do that. if on the other hand you were replacing the bath with another one for instance you could fit isolators to the pipes which would facilitate working on the taps in the future.
College told us to fit isolation valves on a bath anyway that was part of are assignment.but we went in the from scratch it wasn't a situation ie your on a job do you cap of etc that's something college didn't tell us.we had to fit them to sink and toilet

If I had to change a trv in an upstairs bedroom would you drain the whole system,bearing in mind I don't have a freezing kit yet lol

If I had to change a trv in an upstairs bedroom would you drain the whole system,bearing in mind I don't have a freezing kit yet lol
no if sealed system, drop pressure, isolate rad at l/s and snatch it, have sone towels ready :)

Just drain to below the rad your working on. Waste of inhibitor to drain full system if you don't need to

no if sealed system, drop pressure, isolate rad at l/s and snatch it, have sone towels ready :)
So drop pressure on combi ,lock the shield valve and snatch it?lol wow tricky if the valve doesn't come straight off lol

If you turn off the valve first its not a problem. Just stick your thumb over it as soon as it pulls free:)

Since learning the trade I've noticed a lot of drain of valves on radiators on ground level in pubs bars and houses.i think there a good idea.

Do you think thermostatic radiator valves will catch on in the future in every house hold,there expensive just to buy one of them never mind the whole house lol.I was looking at some in b&q the other week and they looked to big and square lol.

trv's been round for donkeys, build regs say you have to fit them, can get cheapo's £5

Only thing I've snatched is some pushfit elbows on a system that was obviously airlocked at the point where the elbows ere. Released them for a few seconds and they spat and sputtered then woosh. Hurredly put the elbow back on, job done.
I will start snatching other things soon, as long as I have towels and stop ends handy. Will post on here when i do one :)
Wish me luck...

Lets us no how you get on.Is snatching just a lazy way of doing things instead of draining down or is it about time and money?

Last edited by a moderator:
some will use a wet vac instead of towels and to suck water out of rad, but its a ball ache, towels are much lighter :)

When part way through a job I don't like to leave customers or apprentices anything they can fiddle with that might have consequences.

just remember if you do any snatching, to have everything you need well within reach before starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brass fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock