Discuss Braided flexible pipe to supply a radiator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A damp wall and peeling paper led me to investigate the radiator on the floor above it. Lifting a floor board revealed a braided flexible hose connected to the radiator. This didn't strike me as standard practice not to mention the severe kink in the hose. However I think the small slow leak has been the result of the compression fitting joining to the radiator down pipe not being tightened enough.
Does anyone have an opinion on whether using braided pipe in this circumstance is a good idea? Should I replace it with standard copper pipe?braided_pipe2.jpg braided_pipe.jpg

Not designed for long time periods of exposure with very hot water (only for to a hot or cold tap really)
Not supposed to be kinked or extreme bends.
Love the cut nail to hold it in place. :p

A baxi rep recently told me the rubber lining of braided flexible hoses attract the iron oxides in systems and are prone to blocking up. It's for this reason they now connect their expansion vessels in copper instead of flex hoses. Hes probably telling the truth too as I've been to many Worcester boilers where the flexi to the vessel has blocked up. Point is as others have said, it's need replacing.

A baxi rep recently told me the rubber lining of braided flexible hoses attract the iron oxides in systems and are prone to blocking up. It's for this reason they now connect their expansion vessels in copper instead of flex hoses. Hes probably telling the truth too as I've been to many Worcester boilers where the flexi to the vessel has blocked up. Point is as others have said, it's need replacing.

Probably the rubber lining absorbs air, same as non barrier plastic pipe

Thanks everyone all your replies. I wasn't expecting such an instant psunami of condemnation. What a great forum. I do a bit if DIY plumbing but I have to say this was the handiwork of a professional as part of a whole bathroom refurbishment; putting in a new shower replumbing some bits and pieces. I'm nervous if what else I might find. This was done about four years ago. Too late to get him back? Maybe I should just do it my self. Should I replace that pushfut connection while I'm at it?

Thanks everyone all your replies. I wasn't expecting such an instant psunami of condemnation. What a great forum. I do a bit if DIY plumbing but I have to say this was the handiwork of a professional as part of a whole bathroom refurbishment; putting in a new shower replumbing some bits and pieces. I'm nervous if what else I might find. This was done about four years ago. Too late to get him back? Maybe I should just do it my self. Should I replace that pushfut connection while I'm at it?

That wasn’t a real professional who did that.
There are lots of bathroom “professionals” suddenly appearing claiming to be plumbers.
That would have been easy to do a really rough, but acceptable throw in plastic or copper connect up.
I would replace everything that idiot fitted, so start with removing the push on connector and begin again.

Too late to get him back?

Legally, I don't think it's not too late because the work was substandard but hidden on the day it was put in so you have a breach of contract claim (implied terms - standard of workmanship).

It's probably not worth the time or effort pursuing them just for this, however, do you really want to see how bad their second attempt is? For something this small, just get a proper plumber in or, if you have the requisite skills, do it yourself.

FYI - the reason they block, is because the rubber used breaks back down into the granules they use to make it from. To the uninitiated it looks like magnetite and of course some gets mixed into it. Many chemicals used in systems exacerbate the problem.

This is all about profit. Rubber is cheaper than copper so it was used. The breakdown issue can be overcome with an appropriate form of silicone hose, however that is more expensive than copper so copper is now used. Simple $£$£$

Legally, I don't think it's not too late because the work was substandard but hidden on the day it was put in so you have a breach of contract claim (implied terms - standard of workmanship).

It's probably not worth the time or effort pursuing them just for this, however, do you really want to see how bad their second attempt is? For something this small, just get a proper plumber in or, if you have the requisite skills, do it yourself.

Whoever 'installed' that, certainly isn't going to give a flying kcuf about someone coming back to him about his 'quality' workmanship. Just get it sorted by a professional and learn from it.

It’s probably a homeserve repair

Or I haven’t read the full story lol

We'll come visit you - when you're doing time for defamation :rolleyes:

FWIW, my experience with the management of Homeserve is that their focus on the quality of what they do is extremely high - higher than the job cost in fact. #JustSayin;)

We'll come visit you - when you're doing time for defamation :rolleyes:

FWIW, my experience with the management of Homeserve is that their focus on the quality of what they do is extremely high - higher than the job cost in fact. #JustSayin;)

Lol, if I ever come across some of the repairs they’ve done again, I’ll put some piccies up

Okay. Thanks for the tip.

While you're at it, I'd wrap a bit of felt insulation around where your new pipe is in contact with the joist. Also check there is enough clearance between the new pipe and the skirting board to allow repainting when you need to redecorate. It maybe okay as it is but the photo makes it look a bit tight to me.

I ended up repairing it myself
I know the compression joints are a bit amateurish but I was reasonably happy with my pipe bending. It'll be less likely to leak now.

View attachment 36621
Is that your first attempt with a bender? Great work, although I’d remove them valves under the floor due to what has previously been mentioned and added to the fact that they are serving no purpose under there anyway. If you’re not confident at soldering you could use JG straights.

A damp wall and peeling paper led me to investigate the radiator on the floor above it. Lifting a floor board revealed a braided flexible hose connected to the radiator. This didn't strike me as standard practice not to mention the severe kink in the hose. However I think the small slow leak has been the result of the compression fitting joining to the radiator down pipe not being tightened enough.
Does anyone have an opinion on whether using braided pipe in this circumstance is a good idea? Should I replace it with standard copper pipe?View attachment 36514 View attachment 36515
very naughty centralheatking
mind you I had to do this type of temp fix late at night just to keep things going

Looks great

Reply to Braided flexible pipe to supply a radiator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back