Search the forum,

Discuss BPEC Unvented in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
:confused:
I've doing the bpec unvented day course on Thursday(I've worked through the book), has anbody done the 1 day course and if so how was it and have you made much use of it since?

I did it about 4 years ago Helpsy and found it very useful. I'm not Gas Registered, purely a "Wet" plumber, but I have been called out to systems which were unvented and both the course and the manual have proved benefactory.

I've been amazed that some people who have these systems in their houses don't even realise that they are unvented.

I need to find out when I've got to renew the qual, anyone know??

I work with someone who's installed a number of cylinders in the last few years. All but two have been unvented and I'm thinking of doing the course myself.

I've done the Bpec course and found it very interesting. Its an open book exam, a presentation which has some of the answers to and a small practical. If I passed, you've no problems. I've done a few jobs on unvented. Think you have to renew every 4 years, if you'd like I'll dig out my card...

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing, on successful completion of the course you get a nice BPEC photo ID card with your quals on it, as I don't have a gas ticket it has proved useful on occasion when someone has asked for some proof of quals, I did the Build Regs Part G course and assessment with Corgi, got the Photo ID card and bloody lost it!!

you will spend most of the morning doing theory reinforcing what you have read. the test is in 3 parts the second part is open book and there is a practical test aswell you have to identifiy 4 faults if i remember right. you will need 2 passport sized photos for bpec id card. i think it lasts for 4 to 5 years cant remember

retest every 4 years,not worth the paper its printed on,these systems can be very dangerous if installed incorrectly.if you can read and write you will pass ,it is so simple you do not need to know anything about plumbing to pass.

Did the unvented course today-easier than I'd imagined.Maybe different out in the real world.Time will tell!!!!

Well done Helpsy, nothing wrong with studying and learning, we live in an age where "life long learning" is the accepted thing.

Beware grumpy old plumbers who think they know it all, and care little for the ambitions and aspirations of others. They are the people who have placed the plumbing trade where it is in the minds of the general public, its up to the rest of us to rescue it.

Cheers HTB
I find the learning and reading up on the subjects addictive,I realise passing the theory/ practical tests in a centre doesn't make you a REAL plumber,but you need to start at the bottom and work your way up the rungs, rather than imagine you're better than you really are( by thinking you're a few rungs higher up the ladder and then having a big fall) That would probably have a major effect on your confidence in the future.Little steps to start with.The core knowledge you learn at these centres is invaluable to your future progression.

Well done Helpsy, nothing wrong with studying and learning, we live in an age where "life long learning" is the accepted thing.

Beware grumpy old plumbers who think they know it all, and care little for the ambitions and aspirations of others. They are the people who have placed the plumbing trade where it is in the minds of the general public, its up to the rest of us to rescue it.

But how do you rescue what was at one time a respected trade to be in ??, all I can see after 50 odd years of being in the trade, is that you in the UK (I saw the light and got out of that place) are being shafted by the politicians who put in place laws to help their mates screw an honest hard working person, by making it illegal to work without sometimes useless bits of paper, for which they charge an arm and leg for

The CIOPHE is nice to have after your name, but in reality it means bugger all, but if they were the leading authority for Gas Safe, Unvented etc, instead of a gang of pen pushing t**ts who bunged a million quid to the labour party just to get the job of screwing money out of people who need the certificates to work, it would be worth supporting the CIOPHE, its taken about 120 years for the RP's to become chartered and that only came about, about 40 years after the RP's joined with the IOP's

most of us older plumbers are not grumpy more dismade with the falling standerds in the plumbing industry,good training is allways worth while,but over the last few years i have had to inspect and rectify many unvented systems,i to have to register with bpec and go every 4 years to requalify ,with the course format there is no way anyone could fail this course.and if you can read the manufactors instructions there is no way it should be put in incorectly,but they are.so why ,is it dont care?cant be botherd ? cant read?

most of us older plumbers are not grumpy more dismade with the falling standerds in the plumbing industry,good training is allways worth while,but over the last few years i have had to inspect and rectify many unvented systems,i to have to register with bpec and go every 4 years to requalify ,with the course format there is no way anyone could fail this course.and if you can read the manufactors instructions there is no way it should be put in incorectly,but they are.so why ,is it dont care?cant be botherd ? cant read?

I think generally the people who are new/regular visitors/posters to this site, are here and asking things because it matters to them and they want to do things right from the offset. I am new into the industry(coming from site construction) and I have learnt a lot from the courses I have done,but I have also learnt a lot from this site.I will continue with more courses for my personal progression(as all knowledge can only be helpfull).
I know the real test is in the real world when you're all on your own with a problem.I also think the people who are visitng this site, want to make a difference compared to people trying to do the job, just for the money and don't care what the system looks like or operates like as long as they get the pounds in their pockets,and down the road to the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BPEC Unvented in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock