Search the forum,

Discuss Boxing in in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john jeffkyns

My Bathroom installer wants to box in and tile around a toilet cistern and a motorised valve which is part of the central heating.
Should I be concerned or are these items non serviceable?

Any comments appreciated.

I come against this every day, it turns easy jobs in to nightmares .

If you are going to do it the only thing I can suggest is make sure you have loads of tiles.

Yes as above do not do it if you must make the whole lot removable eg cups and screws

I'm going to disagree with my esteemed colleagues. I see no problem in doing it as long as the whole lot is easily removable for maintenance. Have tiled panels held on with mirror screws, and a bead of silicone instead of grout around the panel edges.

Agreed. It just needs a bit of thought

Yep I know where you are coming from Maz . If I have to box in anything a huge amount of thought has to go in to how do we gain access if needed. What I find is if the guy ( joiner or plumber) doesnt give a stuff its a recipe for disaster if the plumber in this case spends a bit of time and more importantly is the plumber who comes back if there is a problem it may be ok.

Went to a boiler that was boxed in last night 45 min to get the cover off, idiot joiner glued and screw everything. Rant over lol

Just finished a new school building. Goes into disabled WC and don't see the undersink water heater. Apparently architect has decided he wanted everything hidden away and boxed and tiled over it!!! To get in means removing some tile edging and carefully levering the panel with the tiling on out to get at the heater and THE FILTERS WHICH NEED DOING EVERY 6 MONTHS! Trouble is you can't tell these people anything, the look is more important.

I'm going to disagree with my esteemed colleagues. I see no problem in doing it as long as the whole lot is easily removable for maintenance. Have tiled panels held on with mirror screws, and a bead of silicone instead of grout around the panel edges.

I agree Mas. Boxing is ok as long as it's easy to remove when needs be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boxing in in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock