Search the forum,

Discuss Boulder Buderus Camray 5 part in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Does anyone know what this is?
It looks like some sort of PRV to me but I need to be sure before trying to get a replacement :)
My customer is having problems with it leaking all over the place and it's flooding the utility room after a few days of use.
They can't get the boiler replaced this year so it's just a temporary fix really as I know that there will be underlying problems causing it to fail but [it] is about 30 years old I think :)
IMG_1257.jpg

Its a spring safety valve. Loosen the jamb nut and tighten the top nut down a half turn then tighten the jamb nut again.
BES sell them.

Here is a photo of one of them. Really terrible valves which are basically just an O ring on end of a brass piston with a spring keeping a certain tension on it. The heat destroys the O ring.
No wonder they are only about £1
You could screw into there a decent 3bar relief valve instead, if you hadn't one. Might need a 1/2" nipple if valve female threads though.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a photo of one of them. Really terrible valves which are basically just an O ring on end of a brass piston with a spring keeping a certain tension on it. The heat destroys the O ring.
No wonder they are only about £1

View attachment 26714

any reason there on oil open vented boilers as wont it vent over? if in overheat

any reason there on oil open vented boilers as wont it vent over? if in overheat

Not a lot of reason for it, except if path to vent and feed both got blocked.
The feed pipes, as we know, on open vented systems can and do block solid sometimes.
But the biggest risk and most likely happening is either the pipes at the boiler or the vent and feed at f&e tank freezing in severe weather. Sort of turns your boiler into an unvented cylinder. :smile:

Its a spring safety valve. Loosen the jamb nut and tighten the top nut down a half turn then tighten the jamb nut again.
BES sell them.

It might be a stupid question but I have to ask anyway:
Do I need to drain the whole system to change this?
I might put a prv in as I have one or two spare :)

It might be a stupid question but I have to ask anyway:
Do I need to drain the whole system to change this?
I might put a prv in as I have one or two spare :)

No, should be okay just to bung the feed and vent and take the slight pressure off the system from a drain or somewhere. Make sure that any auto vents that might be fitted are all manually turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boulder Buderus Camray 5 part in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock