Discuss Bottle trap thread size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

R

Rob44

Hi there,

I’ve had a small leak from my bottle trap in the bathroom sink after the tap is turned off, which I understand is a bottle trap issue. It’s quite old, so I bought a new one from Screwfix (32mm).

However when I tried to replace it, it doesn’t fit. The new bottle trap does not fit on the outlet pipe, nor do the new plastic/rubber washers. The new nut for the outlet pipe is also slightly too small for the outlet pipe, but the old nut fits the new trap perfectly.

I was under the impression that the size would either be 32mm or 40mm, but unless I’m missing something, somewhere there’s a non-standard part.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks,
Rob

@dancinplumba it’s a draining issue, I don’t know why it’s worse after the tap is turned off.

@SimonG thanks, the new one I have is McAlpine (details below). This is what doesn’t fit the existing outlet pipe

McAlpine A10V Anti-Syphon Bottle Trap. Size: 1.25 inch. 75mm Water Seal Anti-Syphon (Silent rap) Bottle Trap with Multi-fit Outlet.

What material is the old outlet pipe, Lead, copper, plastic or ??

Or better still, a photo.

The A10 is a mini trap used in a confined space you need this type of trap A10A to match up with your existing plumbing it looks like you may have to modify the pipe slightly where it comes out the trap . Kop

Screenshot_20181113-064026.png

The 32mm waste pipe has got a fitting glued on the end at the trap, it may be part of a coupler but the new trap doesn't need it.

However a new trap may not fix the issue.
It would be simpler to fix the leak you have.

Dry all the joints on the existing trap, run some water into the sink and look for the highest place water is leaking from, there's where your leak will be.

I just blew up your photograph to get a better look. I can see that the top nut of the trap may be binding against that plastic boss with the in-hex plug in it... Also I notice that the rubber washers between the basin and that odd-looking thing with the boss and in-hex plug are compressed more on the left side than on the right side. Is there an alignment issue? My advice is to remove the plastic part with the boss and in-hex nut altogether and substitute a normal plastic nut. If there's a side slot in the 1&1/4" (32mm) threaded outlet, then you should change it for one without the slot. BTW do you realise that the nut that the sliding pipe fits through has to be tightened? Regards.

Looks like it was bodged before and a 1 1/2" trap fitted. That socket or 32 x 40 reducer was glued on the end to make the trap fit.

Reply to Bottle trap thread size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back