Search the forum,

Discuss Boilers in kitchen cupboards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryWaite

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
It is becoming more common now for boilers to be located in kitchen cupboards. I just wanted to know a few details about what you need to allow for when installing a boiler in a kitchen wall unit.

1) Does the cupboard have to be fitted first and the boiler then placed in or can you fit the cupboard around the boiler? 3)

2) Servicing clearances - is it usually just the front and underneath that need to be accessible or the sides too? and how would you make an access underneath without cutting the cupboard to bits?

3) Flues. What allowances do you have to make for vertical or horizontal flues? 4) for a typical sized combi boiler, what size cupboard would you need? would the cupboard definitely have to be bigger than the other kitchen units?

Many thanks, John

Hi John

1. Have found both ways acceptable. Sited new boiler in exiting cupboard, tended supply appliance with direct rear flue.

2. Normal servicing is achieved with access to remove front panel and access flue sampling point. Repairs are a different matter, some appliances need side panels removing simply to check CH thermistor. Vokeras spring to mind. Usually jigsaw base of cabinet out to suite.

3. Try to avoid flue projecting through top of cabinet, direct rear option.

4. Most boiler manufacturers state when a boiler is "cupboard fit"

As with all installs each is unique but with thorough measurement of site, checking requirements of customer and appliance specifics a suitable solution can normally be agreed upon.

It is much easier to fit boiler and cupboard after, if it ***s to the clearance in compartment always check MI.

i agree its normally better to fit the boiler first and cupboard afterwards. Aslong as the boiler meets the manufactures min clearences and you can get your analyser in then you will be fine. Ideal used to make a kit for there classic boiler that gave you metal brackets to allow you to alter the cupboard as needed while still keeping its structual strength.

i have seen system boilers fit in cupboards the same size as the rest of the kitchen cupboards. But for a combi boiler are you definitely looking at a bigger cupboard than the rest of the cupboards?

i have seen system boilers fit in cupboards the same size as the rest of the kitchen cupboards. But for a combi boiler are you definitely looking at a bigger cupboard than the rest of the cupboards?
there are some combis around that fit a standard cupboard gloworm do at least one

If customer expresses desire to hide combi in cupboard I would check when measuring up for quote whether the existing units are big enough.

If the sizes are ok fine, if not then alternative positions discussed.

Last 10 combi installs, 6 in kitchen cupboards. Vaillant, GlowWorm and Ideals. Made sure adequate space for service/maintenance as hopefully it will be me doing it.

Its alot handier to fit the boiler, then the cupboard, for example if they're getting a new boiler and kitchen. But thats an ideal world as they say. If you're replacing a clapped out boiler then mostly you are stuck with the space you have in the exisitng cupboard. As said above you have to go with the manufacturers instructions clearance wise. Follow the boilers inst. catalogue and you won't go wrong If you don't, it'll come back to haunt you if it can't be serviced or repaired in the future. So if the new boiler doesn't really suit the existing cupboard, tell the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boilers in kitchen cupboards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes...
Replies
Views
My family and I live in a bungalow, we have lived there for nearly five years. The property was built in 1964. I want to turn off the water supply so I can install a washing machine, the other place where we lived had modern fittings at the back of the washing machine to stop the water. We...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler. I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35 years old and still working OK. It is fitted to a std 'Y' plan system with boiler in utility room and separate hot water tank, pump, valve etc in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock