Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler warranty pitfalls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Can I ask about boiler warranties/guarantees.

I am going to get a new boiler installed and have been looking at the Ideal Vogues and Worcester 32cdi. These seem to offer 10 year warranties if installed by an accredited engineer.

I have had a few quotes and the installers told me about the 10year warranty, the thing is 10years is a long time for a manufacturer to repair a product free of charge if it fails. I am thinking what is the catch - so my question is what is the catch?

For example they say that the boiler is covered for manufacturing faults, this is not the same as wear and tear in my eyes - a part might fail and it is not a manufacturing fault, it has just worn out.

It is all about maintenance if you have your boiler regularly serviced and it goes on to a clean system that is regularly treated with chemical then you shouldn’t have any problems, if they come out and find that it’s filthy dirty or the condense trap is backed up then you’ve clearly not had it looked after

Also for 10 years they need there own filter / protection kits eg filters etc

Personally I think these 10 year warranty are crazy , it was started by one manufacturer and all the rest have followed, simply because they had to , to compete .
i thought it was to do with europe to come into line with their warranties may be wrong

As with a new vehicle warranty from a dealership, they won't be sympathetic unless you have a full service history.

Personally I think these 10 year warranty are crazy , it was started by one manufacturer and all the rest have followed, simply because they had to , to compete .

Totally agree they are killing the trade. Installers only love them but if you do breakdowns you've lost half your work.

I think a lot of manufactures are counting on that, the customer at some point in the 10 years will; forget to have it serviced, loose the benchmark/service record, move house (Paper work misplaced etc, new owners don't know about warranty), or the warranty issue is caused by an external factor such as system contamination, incorrect servicing etc.

To be fair there's a few customers that we've had with condensing boilers in for 10 years that haven't had any issues with them! So I guess it's luck of the draw.

Worcester's 10 year guarantee is based on a full service record. If you don't have this then you will be paying them £250 for a call out/repair.

Just as a point of reference, an ideal accredited engineer here. The vogue max boiler comes with a 12 year warranty when installed by an accredited installer and the logic max comes with a 9 year warranty. So an extra two years for the boilers if installed with the ideal magnetic filter. System its put onto should be power flushed before hand especially if it's a swap and not a new install. Just check the terms and conditions of the warranty on the respective brands websites it should give you all the info you need.

Why does all the Ideal online advertising say 10 years on the Logic Max Regular and System rather than the 9 years you refer to?

Just as a point of reference, an ideal accredited engineer here. The vogue max boiler comes with a 12 year warranty when installed by an accredited installer and the logic max comes with a 9 year warranty. So an extra two years for the boilers if installed with the ideal magnetic filter. System its put onto should be power flushed before hand especially if it's a swap and not a new install. Just check the terms and conditions of the warranty on the respective brands websites it should give you all the info you need.
How come most of the ideal boilers got 10 and 12 years. And there logic heat 24 got 1 year warranty extended to2 years if you register.

How come most of the ideal boilers got 10 and 12 years. And there logic heat 24 got 1 year warranty extended to2 years if you register.
It’s a cheaper boiler. Sold for new builds

I'll stand to be corrected but my understanding was the basic Logic has the minimum warranty, the Logic Plus has extra warranty, and costs more than the basic one. I believe 7yrs for the Plus. And the recently introduced Logic Max has 10yrs. None of the above requiring to be installed by an 'Ideal Accredited' installer. Whereas the Vogue Max needs to be installed by an 'Accredited' installer to get the 12 yr warranty.

All Max boilers come with their own, brass magnetic filter.

The installer said this was the best for my house set up. Didn't reliase how **** poor they were untill I read the review online after fitment
It’s a decent mid range boiler.
They may have a bad reputation due to poor/cheap installations where they are thrown at the wall.

No matter what warranty you think you're getting you are never going to convince the manufacturers that after years and years of running your boiler is suffering from a manufacturing fault that has taken several years to manifest itself.......... all down to luck; if they pay out at any stage you're lucky but if you are like the rest of humanity they won't pay out or accept any liability whatsoever even ten days after the install - the warranty offer is simply a sales pitch with very little substance.

No matter what warranty you think you're getting you are never going to convince the manufacturers that after years and years of running your boiler is suffering from a manufacturing fault that has taken several years to manifest itself.... all down to luck; if they pay out at any stage you're lucky but if you are like the rest of humanity they won't pay out or accept any liability whatsoever even ten days after the install - the warranty offer is simply a sales pitch with very little substance.

As a "mature" ;) home owner who has picked up a bit along the way over many years and had a little bit of experience with rudimentary plumbing and heating one way and another .. it's really frustrating to see so many totally opposing views coming from installers and customers alike. Not just here, but everywhere.

I've said it before but whether it's a Vaillant, Worcester, Baxi, Ideal, or Intergas .. there's absolutely no concensus or agreement. Each of those makes are either a heap of tat or have been fitted for the past ten years and never given a scrap of trouble.

We're told that it's all down to the quality of the instal, but then we're told that the Ideal Logic sumps leak due a design fault. Or that this or that boiler has rubber hoses or plastic bits and bobs that are bound to fail. Or that the HEX has such narrow waterways that it's only a matter of time until they clog.

The previous post assures me that any of the warranties are worthless, but elsewhere I'm told to get whatever boiler has the longest warranty. If that's not a case of conflicting opinions then I don't know what is.

Or that Vaillant/Ideal/Worcester/Intergas Customer Service stinks or that Vaillant (etc etc) Customer Service is the best ever.

I've been told not to concern myself and just have one fitted - which is one way of looking at it - but on the other hand I do actually favour (and quite enjoy) doing a bit of research to see if I can get an item that offers the best chance of getting good, reliable service from.

I bought a rowing machine recently and did a bit of online research and it was screamingly obvious that there was only one machine that everyone who knew about these things considered was the best you could buy - it's the one you see at all the gyms and is used by the national rowing team (but I don't think they're likely to head-hunt me just yet). Therefore buying a decent rowing machine was the easiest thing in the world. And having bought it - it is, indeed, the dogs danglies.

I know full well I'm not going to get a definitive answer - coz there isn't one - but I'm always keen to see what others have to say based on their experience and I value the time they give to sites like this one.

Last edited:

Reply to Boiler warranty pitfalls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock