Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler upgrade 18KW to 28KW? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spook456

Hello all,

I am in the middle of a loft conversion that will add an extra bathroom and 4/5 radiators and a larger megaflo to my house and have been advised that I need to upgrade my boiler. This was unforseen and I need to try to reduce the cost as much as possible.

The current boiler is an 18Kw Gloworm (18HXi) and is only 3 years old. I have seen that Gloworm sell the same boiler with a higher out put 30HXi, which is identical in size.

With budget in mind, is this a simple swap that would just need the boiler and all other ancillaries stay the same?

Is it possible to trade in a boiler or sell it to recoup some of the cost? It seems a waste to just disgard it.:(

Thanks for any advice....

Owen

the old boiler will sell on ebay, for how much???????????????????????

i would think about 28mm primary circs and expect to upgrade gas supply

must be a massive place to need more than 18kw? has the property been properly sized?

Thanks for the replies

must be a massive place to need more than 18kw? has the property been properly sized?

Not really - it will be four bed detached bungalow with two bathrooms and a shower room. 15 rads in total.

We have been told that our current boiler would be stretched. What would be the worst that could happen if we continued to use the current one?

Cheers

does'nt sound a million miles off to me!!! get it properly sized. the worst that could happen is the boiler would be working flat out where as a bigger boiler would do it at a canter.. kinda like putting a fiesta engine in a bus or a bus engine in a fiesta

suck it and see id wait till you know its not up to the job n theory a boiler thats running constantly with few shut downs should last longer

I would change the boiler - if not you could just be left with slow heat up times for CH (you have a lot of radiators), slow re-charge for new DHW cylinder(your using a bigger one), bad efficiency/high bills due to boiler working longer.

Use the [DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Building-Professionals/Helpful-Tools/Whole-house-boiler-sizing-wizard"]Boiler sizing wizard[/DLMURL] to find out what size boiler you need. Do this for the exsting property then add in the rads for the loft conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler upgrade 18KW to 28KW? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock