Discuss Boiler to Radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm planning to change my radiator pipes. The previous owner had a leak somewhere in their system(they kept losing pressure), but instead of finding it and fixing it, they decided to just put an entire new set of pipes in to connect the radiators to the boiler. The problem is these new pipes are on the walls for everyone to see whereas the old system was in the floor.

Since then, I've found the leak and fixed it. it also happened to be somewhere other than the under floor radiator pipes.

So, I have a set of ugly pipes on the wall and a set of perfectly good pipes underneath the floor. As you can imagine, I'd like to use the system under the floor and take off the rest.

Is this something I can do myself? What sort of problems might I encounter? If I get a professional to do it, how much should that cost (i've been quoted £150)?

Btw, this is just for downstairs. So it's three radiators.

150 quid? I would bite his hand off. Can't see the last owner going to all that hassle if they were not sure there was an underground leak
I would pressure test the old pipework before you started ripping and smashing.

The way I understood it is that they didn't want to open up the floor to check for leaks so they worked on a hunch, figuring that replacing everything would fix it. After the job was done though, the pressure problem persisted, which means that whatever caused the problem wasn't under the floor.

Still, I will check the old system just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would get some more quotes as that seems way too cheap. Sounds like an awesome price:eek::eek::eek:

The way I understood it is that they didn't want to open up the floor to check for leaks so they worked on a hunch, figuring that replacing everything would fix it. After the job was done though, the pressure problem persisted, which means that whatever caused the problem wasn't under the floor.

Still, I will check the old system just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Why did they not disconnect and pressure test the underfloor pipe work before making such a decision?

That is something you could still have done before you start.

As far as £150 goes, it sounds very cheap.
( I haven’t seen it though, obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler to Radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back