Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler to Radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm planning to change my radiator pipes. The previous owner had a leak somewhere in their system(they kept losing pressure), but instead of finding it and fixing it, they decided to just put an entire new set of pipes in to connect the radiators to the boiler. The problem is these new pipes are on the walls for everyone to see whereas the old system was in the floor.

Since then, I've found the leak and fixed it. it also happened to be somewhere other than the under floor radiator pipes.

So, I have a set of ugly pipes on the wall and a set of perfectly good pipes underneath the floor. As you can imagine, I'd like to use the system under the floor and take off the rest.

Is this something I can do myself? What sort of problems might I encounter? If I get a professional to do it, how much should that cost (i've been quoted £150)?

Btw, this is just for downstairs. So it's three radiators.

150 quid? I would bite his hand off. Can't see the last owner going to all that hassle if they were not sure there was an underground leak
I would pressure test the old pipework before you started ripping and smashing.

The way I understood it is that they didn't want to open up the floor to check for leaks so they worked on a hunch, figuring that replacing everything would fix it. After the job was done though, the pressure problem persisted, which means that whatever caused the problem wasn't under the floor.

Still, I will check the old system just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would get some more quotes as that seems way too cheap. Sounds like an awesome price:eek::eek::eek:

The way I understood it is that they didn't want to open up the floor to check for leaks so they worked on a hunch, figuring that replacing everything would fix it. After the job was done though, the pressure problem persisted, which means that whatever caused the problem wasn't under the floor.

Still, I will check the old system just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Why did they not disconnect and pressure test the underfloor pipe work before making such a decision?

That is something you could still have done before you start.

As far as £150 goes, it sounds very cheap.
( I haven’t seen it though, obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler to Radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock