Currently reading:
boiler to cooker separation distances - for a boiler change

Discuss boiler to cooker separation distances - for a boiler change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

g60rge

Gas Engineer
hi, i went out to have a look at my first boiler change last night, card should be in the post any day now.

Anyways, the old combi boiler was in a silly location facing the side of an electric oven, so basicly you cant see the control panel.

first of all i was unsure if it was allowed there in the 1st place? checked out mi's and it says it needs only 5mm clearance from the front when working and 450 for servicing. The cooker moves so thats all ok, but surely there is a rule for a cooker being infront of a boiler no? remember its electric not gas

secondly the customer wants the boiler abit higher. In the picture below he wants the top of the boiler (not the flue) in line with the top of the picture of the car as the filtered extractor is removable for the 450 infront of the appliance and also so that boiler control facia is visible.

I told the customer id have to do some checks, he understands im new and is happy for me to do that, what im unsure of is the distance between the front of the boiler and the cooker/cooking area.

what do you guys think, also is the gas safe technical line for these kind of questions or will i just get grilled with a red marker on my name like i probably will here? Im sure you will agree although we have guide lines its impossible to learn every situation or have guidline for which is why im on here and have my head in mi's for various boilers.

Also can anyone recommend me a good small boiler so far ive come up with the pro combi and gloworm betacom, both being narrower and shallower than the old potterton proforma he had.

thanks

heres the pic

IMAG0219.jpg

you carnt put a boiler or gas appliance directly above a cooker says it somewere in the regs had this on my acs plus its also been on here about it in the last yr or two something to do with a heat source below a gas pipe also you,ll probs be on probation and dont think it would look good on you part

thanks for the reply, the boiler will not be on the same wall or above it.

i know cookers need 760mm above and 50mm to the sides of any non combustable material, with my above boiler suggestions i will have 110mm to the side of the cooker. im thinking its ok but i have some doubt and will be happy with confimation from various sources, for sure i will have to document this job to have it inspected, although im not worried about that but more that i do the job right and its safe.

There will be a distance for clearance above a hob however you got to look at the clearance to the window and building regs regards 150mm from any opening, window or door, for structural integrity reasons ... IMHO :)

hi, it will not be above the cooker it will be higher than it on the same wall as the window, with a proposed 110 mm distance between the side of the cooking area and the front of the boiler there will be more than 300mm from the opening of the window to the side of the terminal i have checked that already.

thanks

Would you not get a ideal logic + 30kw combi in the same position but on the same wall as the cooker with a side flue? You'll need to just check the dimensions of the logic+, IMO a decent boiler with a good warranty.

great compact size and if i only need 50mm from the cooker yes i can fit it on the same wall

can anyone confirm this for me?

if the bottom of the boiler come level with the extractor hud then i would think it to be ok but hard to tell from a photo

ant

Give gas safe a call george they should sort it, ive never had to fit a boiler near a cooker like that,

will have to mate, soon as the postman brings my card! Happy to walk from this one as uncertainty dont mix with this game, either that or get the customer to start shifting boilers.

Better i take the time to get this right though rather than some cowboy putting them at risk instead though.

Easier to shift the cooker?!

In this game you've gotta learn to be like a German with a beach towel. Claim your spot (and get in there before the electricians when doing a first fix) ...

lol, there is nowhere else for the cooker, the kitchen isnt that big, they would need a new kitchen if they moved it

i very much doubt ideal would honour the warranty if their fitter has to move a cooker to get to the boiler regardless of what the regs say the fact that youve got enough doubt would tell me its wrong you say your new dont let customers bully you if they need to reorganise the kitchen to accomodate a boiler legally then that is their problem not yours

Last edited:
thanks, thats a good point, the customer is an engineer and is working with me to get this right. So that isnt the case here. Unfortunately there will be many gas fittes who will be tempted to do something there not sure of so they dont miss out on a few $$$ but not me.

i have found this in my book:

proimity of walls/surfaces adjacent to a hob - 300mm

so thats enough to say it wont be happening that way, kitchen redesign it is..

i have also found this

[DLMURL="http://callde.co.uk/safety_regulations.asp"]http://callde.co.uk/safety_regulations.asp[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler to cooker separation distances - for a boiler change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back