Search the forum,

Discuss boiler pressure lost, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What do you do? One after the other, it seems I've had a run of boilers loosing pressure, some with obvious causes, others with 'no' cause, and most with customers that want a cheap quick fix.
Hourly rate / or fixed price? drain down boiler, check expansion, check prv obvious leaks...and.....?
Then if expv replace or pump up? If you pump and then get a call back... how do you play it?
Prv will need to be ordered/ bought and a return visit- and at what cost?
PRV on Worcester is a ripper-hands in shreds trying to do them, have done a few but now reluctant.
Loved just topping the pressure up when I first started but I had one where the bloody rad started leaking afterwards and the customer had a hissy fit.

Every low pressure I go to I check the expansion vessel and prv and check all visible pipework for leaks valves rads ceilings etc. Doesn't take long.

If I find the vessel flat I recharge it and tell them If water continues to pass through prv we will have to replace it. 9/10 They are fine as long as they are not leaking when I'm there.

If the vessel has burst I replace both at the same time purely to prevent call backs.

As Millsy says above if expansion vessel pre-charge has gone or PRV is potentially passing.

Correctly re-pressurise the system & bleed air out & advise that expansion vessel may be the way out.

Only give approx costings for parts/time as each job varies as some manufacturers actually think about us having to repair there products/replace parts.

Usually if a lady, they generally will say that's very expensive for what it is & i usually look at her hair/nails if styled/manicured & ask how much that cost & how often they get done & say well over a year you will of spent X on all that & this repair will cost approx "xyz" & does your nails go from -6 degrees to 600 - 700 degrees in a second & then switch off & on willy nilly as you need through the day.

Usually shuts them up, your expertise/time costs & you should not be ashamed to charge for it.

Belt & braces is best as they will only pig if you repair only for something else to go wrong as you were the last one to touch it.

Reply to boiler pressure lost, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock