Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler overheating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated before I call out a professional, as I have tried every thing I can think of.
Basically I have a British Gas 330 condensing boiler and a y plan system. I have turned off the boiler, drained the system, refilled and removed air from all rads. When I turn the heating on the boiler heats up to 95 degrees very quickly then cuts out. Before cutting out it makes a lot of gurgling as if there is air trapped. The pump works and all radiators have no air. I have tried attaching hose to the lowest drainage valve on a radiator to try and release any air but this did nothing.
I am not sure what to try next
Thanks
James

The air/gurgling you hear before it cuts out is probably the water beginning to boil. Because the temp is rising so rapidly you clearly have very poor circulation. This can be caused by an airlock. Having drained down and filled back up, an airlock would be the first thing that comes to mind. But why did you drain down? Was you working on the system or did you drain down because you was having issues with air and believed this would cure it?

Hello. I bled down to move a radiator to another close wall.
Probably an airlock then, or it could be an ageing pump, it worked before when everything was fine but now you've added air into the system the pump may be to weak to force the air out, have you got a pic of your pump? And do you know how to tell if your pump is on its last legs?

Air locked by the sound of it can be a pig to remove as above a weak pump will not help does it fill ok ? Did you lock open the 3 port when you filled and vented ? , turn the boiler thermostat down to minimum run the heating controls set to constant and try venting pump and radiators again place a container under the pump and loosen the chrome type nut you will get some spillage but should bear a slug of air travel around the system and hopefully eventually clear its self. Kop

Make sure your calling for HW only, use the fuse spur or pump control to pulsate the pump...10 secs on/10 secs off. Try this on different pump speeds etc. Can be something of a art to this and it can take the a while. Only once it’s returning round the HW circuit correctly...then open the heating circuit.

Dunno if I’m supposed to try help or not.

A domestic Circulator will not shift air by itself in a lot of cases.
Is this a sealed system or open vented?
Do you have solid floors downstairs?
Is the Boiler on the ground floor?
Just trying to visualize the set up a bit better!

There is a vent nipple inside the boiler on the flow pipe next to the overheat stat, but this will require the removal of the inner case seal and therefore it is illegal for a non GSR engineer to carry out this work. Best advice is to employ a local GSR to have a look once you have tried everything else and the problem still persists.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I took Jims advice and have now got flow and a couple of rads are heating up. I have tried the hot water but this doesn't seem to be working.
To give you an idea of house layout, it is a 3 storey house with the hot water cylinder and pump on the 1st floor with a condensing boiler on the bottom floor. It is an open vented system and there is a solid concrete floor slab down stairs with the pipe buried in it.
My next plan was to start turning rads off to try to get heat to the ones that are not coming on. I am hoping that this might help to sort the hot water problem but any advice oud be appreciated.
Thanks
James

Reply to Boiler overheating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I must be cursed The new boiler that was fitted yesterday had a problem on commissioning, when the central heating was turned on the boiler fired but the pipework was only getting hot up to a certain point, it took the plumber a couple of hours to figure out what was happening, the problem was...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I have boiler Vaillant VUW SOE 242_2-3 R2 (it's TurboBlock Pro). Does somebody have service manual / maintenance PDF where can I get some additional informations? Here's my problem: I'm not sure at what bar should I pump the chaimber (pre-charge pressure at bars). When I turn on the hot...
Replies
Views
Revlyne
R
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
S
Got a Worcester green star 28i junior that was blowing off, replaced PRV now it won’t pressurise at all, just fills for a few minutes then blows out the PRV, heating and hot water still work if system not over filled. If bypass is shut boiler overheats and cuts out, thinking it’s the heat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock