Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler overheating constantly (PRV passing) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have a Grant combi and the PRV is passing and constantly dripping hot water. The boiler pressure is around 2.2bar, which is close to the 2.5bar PRV setting.

I firstly vented the pressure down to 1.2 bar and it rose back up in less than an hour.
I checked the expansion tank and there was water on the air side so I then replaced the expansion tank. Problem still exists.
I disconnected the fill loop completely in case that was passing. Problem still exists.

I must have vented the system about 10 times over the last couple of weeks so there is pressure coming from 'somewhere' and since the fill loop is gone then the only thing I can think of is the heat exhanger. Do these tend to fail and allow water to pass to the heating loop? Can they be replaced by a competent DIYer?

This is a Grant Vortex 26e combi. Thanks!

Hi,
I have a Grant combi and the PRV is passing and constantly dripping hot water. The boiler pressure is around 2.2bar, which is close to the 2.5bar PRV setting.

I firstly vented the pressure down to 1.2 bar and it rose back up in less than an hour.
I checked the expansion tank and there was water on the air side so I then replaced the expansion tank. Problem still exists.
I disconnected the fill loop completely in case that was passing. Problem still exists.

I must have vented the system about 10 times over the last couple of weeks so there is pressure coming from 'somewhere' and since the fill loop is gone then the only thing I can think of is the heat exhanger. Do these tend to fail and allow water to pass to the heating loop? Can they be replaced by a competent DIYer?

This is a Grant Vortex 26e combi. Thanks!

Is the boiler pressure 2.2 bar and the PRV is dripping??, if so, its the PRV that needs replacing as 2.2 should be low enough not to cause a 2.5 PRV to lift.
Also, did you check the EV precharge (air end) pressure before installing?.
Suggest 0.75 bar precharge pressure and filling pressure of 1.0 bar.
If you have a 12 litre EV and 100 litre system contents then the final (hot) pressure will be 1.42 bar, with precharge/fill pressures of 1.0/1.5 bar the final pressure would be 2.1 bar.
If the pressure is still rising with a cold boiler and filling line diconnected then probably Hx problem, you might see water coming from the condendate drain with boiler off.

Oil turn the mains cold water off to the boiler does the pressure rise ?

Is the boiler pressure 2.2 bar and the PRV is dripping??, if so, its the PRV that needs replacing as 2.2 should be low enough not to cause a 2.5 PRV to lift.
Also, did you check the EV precharge (air end) pressure before installing?.
Suggest 0.75 bar precharge pressure and filling pressure of 1.0 bar.
If you have a 12 litre EV and 100 litre system contents then the final (hot) pressure will be 1.42 bar, with precharge/fill pressures of 1.0/1.5 bar the final pressure would be 2.1 bar.
If the pressure is still rising with a cold boiler and filling line diconnected then probably Hx problem, you might see water coming from the condendate drain with boiler off.
Yes, 2.2 bar and PRV outlet dripping. I actually did replace the PRV as well (in error I think as I suspect the last one was fine). Maybe the gauge is slightly out as both PRVs have vented at 2.2ish.
I checked the precharge and it was around 1bar (as recommended in the manual).

To be clear, this is oil fired. It is also situated outside of the house so I have no concerns with fiddling with it. I have fixed it a few times over the years.
My mistake. I didn't read the question carefully enough to register that it was a Grant, and hence oil, boiler.

Thought I would update this since folks took the time to respond.
Figured there was nothing else it could be so I ordered a Zilmet Heat Exchanger unit (£90 on Ebay) to match the label on the one in the boiler.
I isolated the feed and outlet, vented down, replaced the heat exchanger and charged back up to 1.2bar and de-isolated. All in about 40 minutes work. Then took about another 1/2hr to try and bleed out some of the air I managed to trap in the system. Remaining air managed to work its way out the little bleed-off ports and within a day it was settled and working as it should. A few weeks on now and no issues.

Reply to Boiler overheating constantly (PRV passing) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock