Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler move with Gravity hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all first timer here...I need a bit of advice on a central heating job..the job is for a relitive who gave me a call wondering if I could move an oil boiler from the utility room of his house to the corner of the garden he wanted to buy a new condensing oil boiler that can be fitted externally for this..I thought this would be a straight forward job but when I went to look at it I realised that the flow to the hot water was separate and on a gravity circuit..and now I'm worried if I fit the pump at the boiler will it pump water out the vent and into the f and e tank..I thought I could seal the system but realised there is a back boiler in the house and this is not a solution to the problem..I will add some pictures to try show what a mean one being the way the system is currently and one of my proposed way to plumb and a couple from the house...excuse the quick drawings any advice would be greatly appreciated..Scotty

IMG_2544.JPG

Hi SimonG thanks for the reply..should of mentioned the house is a bungalow..would I be better keeping the pump inside the house in this case and plumb the feed and vent before the pump then the flow to the cylinder could still rise into the attic and then drop to the cylinder I really don't want to start taking up his new hall tiles if I can help it lol...and would I then cap the feed to the system currently at the injector T before the pump from the back boiler?..thanks scotty

Pump and valves in house. Yes with feed and vent. Don't forget vent on coil. Manual or automatic.

That's how I would do it and add in a mag filter.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Thanks SimonG didn't even no this place existed it's brilliant that people with more experience are willing to help others..I always have a bit of doubt when there is a duel system like this as I haven't been involved in many installs like this..great idea with the mag filter put one in my house recently..going to get the ruler and pen back out now lol thanks scotty

Is this drawing correct SimonG..just disconnect and cap the feed to the back boiler because I have a new feed before the pump..and leave everything else to do with the back boiler alone..then fit a magnaclean on the return to the boiler..the auto air vent then in the attic at highest point to clear air from the coil thanks scotty

Just re-read as I hadn't seen the back boiler. Is this staying connected and in use or going to be defunct?

It's going to be staying it is lit occasionally the cylinder is a twin coil and heats it on gravity from the fire plus there is a pump to pump it around the rads it is vented to above the f and e at highest point..I'm I right to say the feed is ok to cap off because the system will still fill from the new feed thanks scotty

Nope. Not just a case of twinning together.

Need to look at a Neutraliser, h2 panel from heating innovations or thermal store (wouldn't use this for minimal use of fire).

Probably best to remove back boiler and fit new fire back. Not supposed to just disconnect and drill obsolete back boilers.

Did one earlier this year. They had a company in to connect up oil with their stove. They used a twin coil cylinder and screwed it royally. I fitted a Neutraliser, corrected the piping and it ran a treat.

do you think it would work if I just left the back boiler as is with its feed still connected plus put in another feed before the pump like we talked about..I think he will want to keep the back boiler..thanks scotty

Nope. Neutraliser or h2 panel.

Heat leak is also a challenge in a bungalow.

Ultimately safety is the priority in the case of power cut when you will have no pump to dissipate heat from back boiler.

Reply to Boiler move with Gravity hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock