Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler leaking from ... well, that's what I'd like to know! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I was beginning to think I knew my way around my Vaillant Turbomax Plus boiler, having recently replaced the pressure release valve and repressurised the expansion vessel. But now it's leaking water and, while I can see where it's dripping, I don't understand the function of the component that's leaking. If you look closely you can see a drip just below the hole in the brass fitting. Look forward to hearing what this bit does, and how (if at all) it can be fixed! Thank you.
IMG_3434.JPG

Hmmm it’s a tricky one but I’d advise putting the cover back on, turning off the boiler and calling out a gas safe engineer as you are not qualified to remove the cover as this forms a combustion seal and you are putting you and your family at risk by working illegally on a gas appliance

Hmmm it’s a tricky one but I’d advise putting the cover back on, turning off the boiler and calling out a gas safe engineer as you are not qualified to remove the cover as this forms a combustion seal and you are putting you and your family at risk by working illegally on a gas appliance
I've only folded down the control panel. Not removed the outer casing, let alone the combustion chamber cover. But of course I'll get someone in if necessary.

Just a drop down panel on the turbomax mate.

I've only folded down the control panel. Not removed the outer casing, let alone the combustion chamber cover. But of course I'll get someone in if necessary.
However. You have changed the PRV which is a safety control device. Which means you do actually need to put the cover back onto
The boiler and get it checked over. You probably will not get much more advice here.

My point being that joe public won’t differentiate

Nice easy and common fix shouldn't cost that much either under £200

I was beginning to think I knew my way around my Vaillant Turbomax Plus boiler, having recently replaced the pressure release valve and repressurised the expansion vessel. But now it's leaking water and, while I can see where it's dripping, I don't understand the function of the component that's leaking. If you look closely you can see a drip just below the hole in the brass fitting. Look forward to hearing what this bit does, and how (if at all) it can be fixed! Thank you.
View attachment 35520
Whilst no one can stop you to tinkering with your own boiler the consequences of you creating bigger problems needs to be set out. If you were to produce a Big Bang by accident if might invalidate your own home insurance, hurt your family and neighbours, and open you to a criminal prosecution...police are hot on this now as it’s an easy prosecution. The work you have already carried out is defined as work to a gas appliance and as such must be carried out by a qualified person. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

However. You have changed the PRV which is a safety control device. Which means you do actually need to put the cover back onto
The boiler and get it checked over. You probably will not get much more advice here.
I certainly don't want to take any risks, whether safety-related or legal. But obviously the rule isn't simply, 'Don't touch a boiler' as user controls are part of it. Is there an easy link that will tell me what I can and can't do?

I certainly don't want to take any risks, whether safety-related or legal. But obviously the rule isn't simply, 'Don't touch a boiler' as user controls are part of it. Is there an easy link that will tell me what I can and can't do?
It’s really quite simple there is zero which you want to do and have done to your gas boiler Already that you are legally able to do, if you have a problem with a tap,washer or your drains you can ask we wil help
But not with gas work...Shaun Corbs ....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

The stuff you've already done on your own boiler in your own home, for no financial reward can be allowable in law & by the regs if you're a 'competent person' with the required knowledge, technical expertise & experience. If told anything else it's misinformation, albeit with the best safety-conscious intentions. I am not GSR, btw.
You may well be a superb craftsman in another discipline. However, just that you're needing to ask what this leaking item is suggests you don't yet have the knowledge or experience parts of 'competent' & you could do unsafe work without realising. Bite the bullet, stay safe & get someone in.

What extra costs???
Usually what happens is a plumber comes out, looks at what needs to be done and either disappears to get parts or has to book another appointment - very inefficient and very costly. If I can say I need the diverter valve replaced it’s one quick visit.

Users report symptoms, fitters replace faulty items, but engineers will diagnose & identify the cause before deciding what to do.
Do you know what caused your fault?
You are absolutely right, of course. Unfortunately many tradesmen are not as well trained or experienced as some of those on here. That's why so many of us ordinary punters end up here with our questions. Last time I asked a local firm for a diagnosis I ended up spending £250 on a new secondary heat exchanger which made no difference. On this forum I learned that what I needed was a couple of non-return valves for a shower mixer, which I was able to fix myself. Until standards in the wider market improve I shall remain grateful to the experts on this forum for their advice!

PS No, I don't know the ultimate cause of the problem!

A tale of woe. A good heating engineer will talk to the customer, will diagnose a problem correctly first time and fix it, OR inform the customer that it could be more than one part at fault & seek your approval to proceed with the fixing.
Maybe next time ask why a part is being changed and what happens if that part doesn't fix the problem? Does the old part get refitted? If not, is it trade price & free fitting on the unrequired part?, etc. It's a reasonable question that a decent engineer will not mind answering if asked in the right way.
Trouble is, most people are clueless or don't want to know & just want their plumbing/heating /hot water working again & are happy to pay whatever. Sounds like you want to know & have a good understanding of your system so you should be able to spot a poor engineer; maybe next time just pay them a reasonable amount for their call-out fee & show them the door if you're not happy with what they propose.
Good luck with your fix.

Reply to Boiler leaking from ... well, that's what I'd like to know! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock