Discuss Boiler heating efficiency question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have recently moved into a flat and was wondering how to use the boiler most efficiently to heat the radiators.

I have an ecotech boiler and there is a setting to increase/decrease the temperature of the water (see pic).

There is a thermostat in the living room, I put it on about 21 degrees. What difference does the temperature setting on the boiler make if the thermostat is at 21? Will I spend more on heating bills if its set higher, even though the thermostat stays on 21?

Also if I have it turned to zero like in the photo, is that more/less efficient for the hot water in the shower and taps?

Sorry if these are simple questions but I'm new to this.

Thanks.

IMG_20171018_190134016.jpg

Set it to 65 degrees and experiment the lower you can go the lower your bill will be achieving a satisfactory comfort level will also require sufficient insulation ie loft and walls , dont keep turning it to its lowest setting find your comfort level and leave it set there.cheers kop

Hi
Leave the boiler thermostat between 60-70 degrees.
Use he room thermostat to control temperature and reduce bills. 1 degree, can lower you yearly cost by 10%.
Put on a jumper.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Over the summer I had it set as zero as I wasn't using the radiators. Is that OK to do when you don't need to use radiators?

Is hot water linked to the boiler thermostat in any way or is it controlled separately?

You should have a timer on the boiler which controls its on and off times, if you turn your room thermostat down this will keep the heating off , if its a combi hot water is available when you turn the hotwater tap on and the temperature is adjustable on the boiler , if its heat only then the boiler temperature needs to be set at 65-70 degrees at all times . cheers kop

It was my understanding that the lower the boiler flow temperature the better for efficiency.

It was my understanding that the lower the boiler flow temperature the better for efficiency.

Its more the return mate , it needs to be under 55/54 so the boiler fully condenses.
Eg , a boiler flow temp of say 65 degrees will return around 15 / 20 degrees lower which is obviously than 55 .

The only problem with a low flow temp is that it may struggle to heat the house in cold conditions, this is when radiator sizing is very important.

Its more the return mate , it needs to be under 55/54 so the boiler fully condenses.
Eg , a boiler flow temp of say 65 degrees will return around 15 / 20 degrees lower which is obviously than 55 .

The only problem with a low flow temp is that it may struggle to heat the house in cold conditions, this is when radiator sizing is very important.

That's what I meant, but on the boiler we only control the flow temp.
Mine tends to start of at about 75c the quickly drops to around 30c.

Hi,

It's a combi ecotech plus vaillant.

Just wanting to know the most efficient way of using this in different situations (radiators needed or not needed). Never used one before and first time living on my own and using one of these before.

On a related note, I was told that once your heating is turned on, you pay the same in energy whether one or all your radiators are turned on. Is that true or do you pay more per each radiator turned on?

Thanks.

_20171019_235609.JPG

Last edited:
On the whole the more radiators you have turned on the more it's going to cost you. If you are on your own only heat the rooms you're using and keep doors closed.

You want to set the boiler to as low a temperature as possible while still being able to heat the rooms. You will get to a point where you set the boiler too low and the rooms will never be able to reach the temperature you set on the thermostat so then turn the boiler back up a bit.

I would suggest that if you are looking to increase the efficiency of your heating system you get Vaillant controls fitted to your system. Their most basic controls, that utilise ebus technology, have anticipation technology to modulate gas consumption, right up to weather compensation controls that control energy usage based on outside temperatures. Got to the Vaillant website on to ‘find an installer’ and request a visit to get advice on the best way to utilise the learning technology inside your boiler to optimise your fuel consumption. It’s worth paying a call out out to get detailed advice face to face. These boilers are great if used correctly. If you already have Vaillant controls then whoever comes can explain them to you properly so you can get the best out of them.

Hi,

It's a combi ecotech plus vaillant.

Just wanting to know the most efficient way of using this in different situations (radiators needed or not needed). Never used one before and first time living on my own and using one of these before.

On a related note, I was told that once your heating is turned on, you pay the same in energy whether one or all your radiators are turned on. Is that true or do you pay more per each radiator turned on?

Thanks.

View attachment 31441

I would need to see the system and weigh it up to be able to give you good advice. So would anyone else really.

However, seeing as we are on a Forum I would only suggest you set the heating knob to 60 and the Hot water to whatever you prefer to be honest but I always leave them on 60 too, ( customer can adjust as they please).

If you have thermostatic radiator valves, set living rooms to 21 degrees C (depends on the head but more often than not around half way or number 3).

Set bedrooms, hallways, landings, kitchens, dining rooms etc to 18 degrees C ( number 2 or 2/5).

Bathrooms ( 4 or 4/5). 22 deg C.

Room stat, Set to 20/21.

Start there and see how comfortable you are. All Properties are different. Owing to type of build, insulation, climate, heat emitters, Heating system, whether they are exposed, in a city, etc, the list goes on.
There are differences in when each individual feels comfortable too.

Damselfly is right with the comments, if you did go down that route, you should check whether your Boiler is 100% compatible with the newer technology.

On the plull down flap there should be a diagram showing the most efficient way to use your boiler summer and winter thermostat postions ect . cheers kop

Sorry guys ,

Somone was using my account by accident which means I had an issue with my account for the last few days and it seemed somone has hacked my account. However, I have changed all and hoping everything is ok now.

You sure as both ips match, which means other than your wife it was you

And if you were hacked I'm sure they would have something better to say other than low pressure
:D

You sure as both ips match, which means other than your wife it was you

And if you were hacked I'm sure they would have something better to say other than low pressure
:D
If you are such a Scotland Yard you could help me to get the money back which I lost. Just let me know perhaps you can trace the guy who bought stuff in my name ?

If you are such a Scotland Yard you could help me to get the money back which I lost. Just let me know perhaps you can trace the guy who bought stuff in my name ?

That's a lot different to spoofing your ip and hacking your forum account and posting under your name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler heating efficiency question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back