Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler gurgling after water goes down sink. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jango

Vokera unica HE boiler.
I got a new kitchen fitted a while ago and the fitters routed the condensate pipe wrong so it flowed uphill.
This made the boiler cut out a lot.
The condensate pipe has now been re-routed and it doesn't cut out anymore, but every time water goes down the sink, the boiler has loads of air bubbling up inside it.
The bubbling only happens after the last of the water has went down the sink.
So if I have water constantly running down the sink, it won't bubble up, it's only once the water goes away.
It also bubbles up after I have switched the central heating off.

I'm happy that it doesn't cut out any more, but is this bubbling something that needs fixed? Should it be doing that?

Can you add images of the cndensate run including clear images under the sink

This is where the condensate pipe meets the sink.
P1000265wee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it those condensate/washer hoses coming in from the side ?

If so - im not surprised its gurgling as there will always be a residual amount of water in the pipes that will interrupt the condensate.

What i can say is i was at one a while ago that was plumbed in just like that and the boiler trap was gurgling when heating was on and sink emptied it created backpressure up the condensate into the boiler trap.

I would not have plumbed it in like that side on. Over time when bits of food and fat go down the drain it will clog and congeal wherever.

Yes the condensate pipe is the lowest pipe at the back coming in from the left.
The guy who fitted the new condensate pipe connector said it was a type that won't allow water to flow into the condensate pipe from the sink.
But, as you said, the problem here is air flow.

The condensate pipe is plumbed into the main drain - untrapped.
I would assume from the photo, that the condensate trap in the boiler is operating as a vent for the sewer system.
It may even produce sewer smells coming out of the boiler.

I would have it re-plumbed so the condensate connection is upstream of the trap.

Should stop all the gurgling

I'd be surprised if there is any sort of valve in that. And even if there is - ideally there shouldnt be as it willl create a double trap.

If you remove the screwed joint closest to the condensate and look/feel inside.
Use a bowl under - there may be a little water in...

The sink is pulling the boiler trap

Get it rerouted to the drain out side up size it to 32 mm that will solve your problem

Attachments

• 20151013_162608.jpg
    20151013_162608.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for the help guys.
I've attached a better image showing all of the pipes.

oz-plumber. When you say upstream of the trap, do you mean have it connected to the same place as the washing machine outlet (the grey coiled pipe)?

king of pipes. Do you mean get it routed outside the building so it goes nowhere near the sink?
P1000383wee.jpg

sorry for the extra post, it looked like my last post didn't work so I posted it twice.

I don't have a magnetic filter.
In post number 8 you are looking at an example image that king of pipes posted of a unit with the condensate pipe routed outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler gurgling after water goes down sink. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock