Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler flue not accessible but builder says it's all one piece in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help...

We have recently redone our property and there is a new boiler and flue. The flue enters the ceiling above the boiler and is hidden from view (above a bathroom) until it exits through the wall.

We have tried to get a gas certificate but the engineer can't see sufficiently far to confirm there are no joins in the flue pipe. We'd like to avoid access hatches having just re-done the ceiling, and the builder (who has now gone AWOL) promised it was all one piece.

Can we put a camera inside the flue - might that answer the question? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much

Tony

20190102_204902.jpg

20190102_204624.jpg

You will need hatches cutting into the ceiling to verify this. Doesn’t matter if the builder says it’s one piece the next gas engineer can’t verify that

theres joints in the rook space

needs hatches also who installed the boiler?

I’d say it’s too long to be one piece

Thanks - the builder (company now in liquidation, so we're stuck...) said it was one piece - the length is about 2.4m. Presumably it could theoretically be one piece, if we recorded a camera inside the pipe would that work?

If not, would you mind letting me know roughly how much hatches cost?

Thanks!

Thanks - the builder (company now in liquidation, so we're stuck...) said it was one piece - the length is about 2.4m. Presumably it could theoretically be one piece, if we recorded a camera inside the pipe would that work?

If not, would you mind letting me know roughly how much hatches cost?

Thanks!

wont be in once piece max flue length in one piece is 2m but i will be surprised as no on uses them unless they have to

also you will still have two joints one boiler end one flue exit end

best option get a gas safe engy in to re commission and inspect the boiler also get him to fix hatches where the flue runs

wont be in once piece max flue length in one piece is 2m but i will be surprised as no on uses them unless they have to

also you will still have two joints one boiler end one flue exit end

best option get a gas safe engy in to re commission and inspect the boiler also get him to fix hatches where the flue runs

Thanks - do you know roughly how much hatches should cost to fit?

Thanks - do you know roughly how much hatches should cost to fit?

depends on a lot of factors

any where from £150 to x amount

do they need to be fire rated are they easy to install best get a quote

Builder ??????????

Maybe commissioning/benchmark sheet not filed it.

I must be getting cynical in my old age.

I would v.strongly suggest it will need recommissioning with correct inspection hatches as previously mentioned, not just to tick the box but for your own peace of mind.

Just think of your priorities & the safety of your family.

Is it really worth saving a few quid............

Why is thhere a towel rad, about 6" from the ceiling?
Long towels??

Is that label not a cupboard label?
Boiler is in a compartment, see second photo in Original Post.
It doesn't say whether the boiler compartment is in the bathroom or outside of it or previously had a boiler in it and the flue has been altered or that the boiler is new.

But it does say bathroom redone recently, so if it's a recently installed boiler why is a (British Gas ?) GSR looking at it now?

Unfortunately we do need to be able to inspect the full length of the flue, when flues are boxed in this is usually achieved by placing access hatches at every joint, these hatches also have to be a minimum of 300mm x 300mm and you will need at least 3 of them. A camera will not be sufficient. You say the flue is above a recently done bathroom ceiling. Whats above the ceiling? Is there removable floorboards?

Long towels??

Boiler is in a compartment, see second photo in Original Post.
It doesn't say whether the boiler compartment is in the bathroom or outside of it or previously had a boiler in it and the flue has been altered or that the boiler is new.

But it does say bathroom redone recently, so if it's a recently installed boiler why is a (British Gas ?) GSR looking at it now?
Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help...

We have recently redone our property and there is a new boiler and flue. The flue enters the ceiling above the boiler and is hidden from view (above a bathroom) until it exits through the wall.

I bet you could see it with a camera, but I bet your car does over 70mph if you want it to, the law says you can't go over 70 and you need hatches to inspect that flue. No amount of reasoning with people who will ultimately be responsible will change those facts.

I think the op is on about using a camera to confirm whether or not there are any joints in the flue before cutting access panels in, not to us it as an inspection method.

I think the op is on about using a camera to confirm whether or not there are any joints in the flue before cutting access panels in, not to us it as an inspection method.
Of course there are joints in the flue, there's the connection at the elbow and op says the run is about 2.4m so they'll be at least one more joint where the extension piece joins to the outlet piece. And regardless of what op suspects, we still need some form of access to inspect the flue, joints or not.

Doesn’t matter what the builder says. Sounds like a bit of a fly-by-night so he could say anything he likes and you’d be none the wiser.
Bottom line is consealed flues MUST be accessible for inspection. Whether that’s hatches or some other means of access. It’s done for safety so that a flue can be checked to make sure it’s safe and working properly and not leaking. Otherwise it could be leaking fumes into the ceiling which would find their way down into the living space and no one would know until one day someone doesn’t wake up.
Sorry to be so blunt but if the builder was a bit of a cowboy then it’s even more important. A few extra quid isn’t worth a life.

Reply to Boiler flue not accessible but builder says it's all one piece in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an Alpha Intec boiler installed on my loft wall. The flue goes horizontally from the top of the boiler and passes through the wall, exiting high up in the gable end. The boiler was installed about 6 years ago. My attached garage joins the gable wall directly below the flue. I had the...
Replies
Views
HI, I had a new gas meter fitted a year ago and the installer said he wasn't happy with the flue. I have lost the report but would like to correct any faults. The boiler is an old Thorn floor mounted atmospheric boiler which is located in the corner of a single story flat roofed garage which...
Replies
Views
Hello, from South Devon. Firstly - I'm not a Gas Safe RGI. I'm considering my options to replace a 23 year old |Ideal Classic FanFare 50,000 kw open vent boiler which works OK but could well terminally fail and I want to be prepared (I'm thinking another fan, gas valve or PCB would be the last...
Replies
Views
Can I jump in here rather than starting a new thread about the same thing? We were about to start getting quotes for a new combi (just moved into a house with a 10 yr old Vokera) and it's now packed up on us. Heat exchanger is bust so we're topping it up every 3 hrs. Anyway. Quotes and boilers...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping for a bit of advice. We are in the process of renovating an old house and as part of that work we are upgrading the old 1980s boiler and gravity fed system with a new boiler and unvented cylinder. I got a load of quotes, went for a guy we thought seemed ok and checked that he was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock