Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler firing up but no ch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I've noticed my boiler keeps firing up but the central heating not coming on, the thermostat is set to 16 so not expecting the heating to come on as its quite mild , the boiler fires up and heats to 70 then turns off but no one was using the hot water?. Am I going crazy or should I call someone out?

Ok, to please @rpm as he's clearly on his monthly.

The pre heat feature of a combi is there to keep your hot water heat exchanger hot. The reason is so you save water as you don't have to draw off as much water before hot water is delivered to the tap.
So a couple times a day you may notice your boiler fires up for apparently no reason. All it's doing is heating up your central heating water within the boiler and passing it through the hot water heat exchanger to keep it hot so it's ready for when you require hot water.

I don't fully agree with amgasservices idea of a dripping tap keeping the boiler in hot water mode as more than a drip would be required for that. However if you do have 1 or 2 dripping taps, this will cool the hot water heat exchanger quicker when not been used so you may find your boiler firing up more frequently to keep it hot.

Hope this helps and satisfies @rpm

Ok, to please @rpm as he's clearly on his monthly.

The pre heat feature of a combi is there to keep your hot water heat exchanger hot. The reason is so you save water as you don't have to draw off as much water before hot water is delivered to the tap.
So a couple times a day you may notice your boiler fires up for apparently no reason. All it's doing is heating up your central heating water within the boiler and passing it through the hot water heat exchanger to keep it hot so it's ready for when you require hot water.

I don't fully agree with amgasservices idea of a dripping tap keeping the boiler in hot water mode as more than a drip would be required for that. However if you do have 1 or 2 dripping taps, this will cool the hot water heat exchanger quicker when not been used so you may find your boiler firing up more frequently to keep it hot.

Hope this helps and satisfies @rpm
I have seen the heating on a Baxi combi 80 not come on because a bathroom tap had a drip. So yes in my opinion this can actually happen mate.

I have seen the heating on a Baxi combi 80 not come on because a bathroom tap had a drip. So yes in my opinion this can actually happen mate.
Really? Wouldn't think they'd be that sensitive but I'll take your word for it. However, op isn't saying her heating isn't coming on. She's saying it fires up, goes to 70 then shuts off which would most likely point to a pre heat.

Reply to Boiler firing up but no ch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock