Search the forum,

Discuss boiler fires up even when heating is turned off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

purp751

hi, we have a Vaillant boiler that was fitted a few years back, it's always done this since fitted but plumber insists is us and not the boiler!

Problem is the heating, even when set it to timed only it fires up when it feels like it, this results in a tropical rainforest at 3am or the thing heats the house all day when not in, we've set the temps for auto-firing to prevent frost damage as low as it can go, think 10 degrees from memory and still it fires up, it's controlled with a wireless thermostat which has never read lower than 17 degrees even in the coldest room, we keep it in the warmest room as plumber insisted this would solve it, it hasn't!

We've found the only way to stop it is to manually turn off the heating on the boiler and turn off all the thermostat valves on the radiators, we've had combi boilers before and got to say with the manual dial controls never had this issues, turned it up, clicked, heating on, warmed up, turn it off, if set it on/off, this thing seems to do what it wants when it wants!

Am dreading another winter looming, apart from anything else it's labour intensive to have to turn off the entire controls in the wireless control, the boiler itself AND the room radiators when want to be sure the thing won't turn on, we've had it set to come on morning/evening as out in day and bingo, come home to a tropical rainforest as it's decided to heat up all day, this of course also means using a ridiculous amount of gas which then means to save money have to turn it off when in the house, we just can't trust it to run properly!

it's covered with e.on but their engineer states nothing wrong with it and just don't seem interested, far as they're concerned it heats water and radiators so what's the issue but it's not running as it should, I want a boiler can set with controls to heat up a warm house to get up to and a warm house to come home to, safe in the knowledge it's not heating for 5 hours when not even there, are we just being thick, is there a magical switch to sort this out, or can you have a ye olde dial control fitted to the boiler so can just turn on/off when want to like used to? actually used less gas with the old header tank as least could control that!

we've put the settings on the wireless as low as can go for the 'auto-anti frost' thing, think is 10 degrees set at, the wireless control is kept in the hottest room in the house and even in winter it's not read below 17 degrees in there so it's not the auto-setting that's causing it with temp drops, am at a loss, it even kicked in during the heatwave in summer, just what wanted, heating on when house was boiling as was, ended up having to turn off the boiler to stop it as it was having nothing!

Help!!!! am starting to think boiler is a dodgy one as plumber doesn't want to know and neither do e.on, I just want a boiler that works when want it too and saves me money not costs a fortune and dread turning on as know it'll do what it seems to want to do!

call in another technician to check it out and prove it is either you or the boiler system thats at fault. too many variables to even try and see what is happening on here

had the plumber out and two e.on engineers to it so far, they all insisted the wireless thermostat is set up and it and I quote 'won't fire up when the heating is turned off' it does, the only way to stop it is to do as I said, turn down the boiler and radiators to literally turn the boiler off, I want to just click 'off' on the thermostat and it turns off, or set the times to come on so know will wake up to a warm house or come home to one that doesn't resemble the amazon lol, they just aren't interested and haven't got funds to have plumbers coming out to say the same thing, I was hoping someone might say 'ahh yes, that issue, it's X part' so could maybe point them in the right direction to fix it, am thinking, from your reply, that it's one of those weird to find issues that are a nightmare to source and that's why they just aren't bothering and blame us, even the plumber and engineers set up the wireless control...and it still did the same thing, surely we aren't all getting it wrong?!! how hard are they, I assumed is set temps, set times, turn it either on or off for heating and bob's your uncle, sheesh I miss wired thermostat's, I wanted a wired one and was told by plumber that wireless were in his words 'the dogs bollox' I'm inclined to disagree on experience so far...lol!

you need someone to attend and look at the whole thing from scratch and follow the basic workings of a heating system to prove it is set up correctly. Not hard but just needs knowledge and patience, something a plumber may not know and eon wouldnt care to bother with.

one easy way to prove its the boiler or stat get a heating engineer to disconnect the stat if it fires its the boiler if not its the stat

just realised its a vailant is there a C showing on the display if yes turn hot water diakl down to zero and see if it disapears then turn back to your desired temperature but not full up

What rf room stat is it have you manually turned the rf unit off at sender. When boiler comes on on its own is the call for radiators symbol on boiler. If you have user manual turn hot water pre heat off. Pictures of boiler and rf unit would help

I'd be inclined to say the probs definately caused by the wireless stat, but that would be a guess.
To stop the boiler firing, you say you turn boiloer off, then turn down all radiator valves, WHY???? If you turn the boiler off, the radiators can't get any heat, so no need to turn off their individual valves.

I'd be inclined to say the probs definately caused by the wireless stat, but that would be a guess.
To stop the boiler firing, you say you turn boiloer off, then turn down all radiator valves, WHY???? If you turn the boiler off, the radiators can't get any heat, so no need to turn off their individual valves.

He cant turn the boiler off, hence all the issues.................. see my original post, GET AN EXPERT IN

Find your manual and access the status codes (this can be done without removing the cover) this will help to pin point when the boiler is misbehaving lol

That would have to be the second generation Ecotec mid 2012 onwards, but if the 24v link was left in then it would be on 24/7 not intermittently like the op said unless ive misread it lol, I'm curious as to which wireless controls are fitted btw...........

If it's the cheap salus it would not suprise me. Had loads of trouble with them

Closing this thread now because forum rules are getting broken to try and help you.

Please ask for help on our looking for a plumber sub forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler fires up even when heating is turned off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hi wonder if anyone can help. Had no issues last year. Have Valiant ecoTEC plus and Drayton thermostat. I have tended to leave thernostat and just turn boiler on when needed. Its showing 14 and when i set it higher sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it starts and then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock