Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler failing to light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all - Got an old Worcester bosch 28i rsf combi that struggles to light - especially from cold.
When heat is demanded, the pilot light fires up first time every time, but then burns itself out - the ignition sequence repeats with the pilot light firing up but then burning out. The boiler eventually fires up after anything between 3 - 20 ignition cycles - first time everytime if the boiler is warm!
Had a new Gas valve fitted, new ignition sensor fitted, gas pressure checked and told is fine, fan and air flow sensor good - any ideas before I throw money at a new PCB for it not to work either? Sick of paying for new parts for them not to make any difference! Plus its a plumber friend doing the work - so its all getting a bit awkward! :(

Have noticed the upstairs hot water pressure has dropped over the last couple of years - used to be a hot strong flow, its now a very hot weaker flow - not sure if that's relivant or not or just a symptom of the boiler getting older!
Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited:
I’m not being funny mate I would seriously look towards a new boiler rather than continuing to throw money at that one I am dealing with exactly the same scenario with a landlord of mine and I keep telling him new boiler but he keeps insisting on throwing parts at it and it lasts for a few months longer and then something else goes.

Hi all - Got an old Worcester bosch 28i rsf combi that struggles to light - especially from cold.
When heat is demanded, the pilot light fires up first time every time, but then burns itself out - the ignition sequence repeats with the pilot light firing up but then burning out. The boiler eventually fires up after anything between 3 - 20 ignition cycles - first time everytime if the boiler is warm!
Had a new Gas valve fitted, new ignition sensor fitted, gas pressure checked and told is fine, fan and air flow sensor good - any ideas before I throw money at a new PCB for it not to work either? Sick of paying for new parts for them not to make any difference! Plus its a plumber friend doing the work - so its all getting a bit awkward! :(

Have noticed the upstairs hot water pressure has dropped over the last couple of years - used to be a hot strong flow, its now a very hot weaker flow - not sure if that's relivant or not or just a symptom of the boiler getting older!
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Its bye bye time ....are you gsr ?
I am all for keeping units going but no, but what are you going to choose ? not another Wb I hope .....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I'm not GSR but my mate who's looking at it is - it's a mate doing a favour so his heart isn't really in tbh and is just suggesting parts for me to buy for him to fit rather than looking at it properly.
New boiler isn't an option really - can't afford it even on finance and we're looking to relocate in the next 2 years or so anyway so want to tick this one over as long as poss. Just wanted to pick your collective brains for suggestions before we try a new pcb. :(

I am not sure if they do your boiler but Ignite Heat Spares do a wide range of high quality re conditioned electronic parts inc. pcb at really sensible prices
I have used them many times , if you dont see your needs on their website call them and see

I hope you get sorted out , lets us know centralheatking

Thanks all - I'm not really after any diy guides (I'm not a competent diyer anyway) but I see your point - you don't want to be encouraging diy gas work!
I'm just trying to find out if you think it sounds like a pcb problem or if thats likely to be another £200 down the pan!

Thanks all - I'm not really after any diy guides (I'm not a competent diyer anyway) but I see your point - you don't want to be encouraging diy gas work!
I'm just trying to find out if you think it sounds like a pcb problem or if thats likely to be another £200 down the pan!
ignite stuff is around £40 per board and they do WB

Reply to Boiler failing to light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am having a problem with my main 24he boiler where the flame is constantly clicking on and off with the heating and when using hot water. Some times the flame failure light comes on but it ignites again after a few seconds. The plumber has changed a couple of sensors on the boiler and checked...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
W
  • Question
My Worcester Combi Boiler is not working, instead the display flashes on and off repeatedly, as shown in <a href=" View: https://youtu.be/Touvx2c3RJE ">this video</a> I took when turning it back on this morning (it had been off overnight) - it shows the behaviour, but if that fails, all the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Hi, I turned my central heating on for the first time today this year and it started to bang and the flame inside looked a bit erratic. Upon looking in the pilot light viewer it looks like there is debris/embers burning resting on the bottom. I turned everything off and switched it back on to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock